Aluminum Necks

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

What kind of conversion necks do you wanna see?

Standard short scale necks (24" scale)
63%
Standard American/Squier Bass VI scale necks (30" scale)
6%
Standard Japanese Bass VI scale necks (30.3")
6%
34" Bass necks
No votes
25.5" to 24.75" scale length conversion necks
13%
25.5" to 28.625" scale length conversion necks
6%
Other (Post a reply)
6%

Total votes: 16

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aluminum Necks

Post by 601210 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 am

On the removable fingerboard --

How are you attaching these? bolts? glue? I'd be worried about rattle if these aren't secured dead tight.

I can also imagine the edges of the channel binding catching/pinching my hand if they aren't completely flush. I think on a regular channel bound neck the glue fills that space so it's smooth, so it goes back to your attachment method.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:07 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:17 am
As someone who only owns aluminium-necked instruments the demand is massive, especially if you can get the cost down to what you've quoted as you could seriously undercut literally every current neck manufacturer in the business. The aluminium fanbase is rabid, there a few groups on Facebook etc where you should post if this is something you're seriously considering. Try joining the ''Aluminium Axes'' Facebook group and let me know how you get on, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Also that headstock is ok but a bit too close to the original Kramer forked headstocks for comfort, I think you'd have a lot of problems with mistaken identity and lack of brand recognition.
See this is exactly what I thought! I really want to make these necks more accessible in the market, so maybe some competition is just what they need. As for the headstock, I completely agree. I just chose the “generic aluminum neck” headstock for the model for the prototypes.

I’ll definitely check out that Facebook group... right after I make a Facebook account.
Flurko wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:12 am
You should check out Nude Guitars, they're an Italy-based alu guitars company, and they use a similar wooden fretboard inlayed in an aluminum neck.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ll give them a look-see and see if I can’t glean any tricks from them.
601210 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 am
On the removable fingerboard --

How are you attaching these? bolts? glue? I'd be worried about rattle if these aren't secured dead tight.

I can also imagine the edges of the channel binding catching/pinching my hand if they aren't completely flush. I think on a regular channel bound neck the glue fills that space so it's smooth, so it goes back to your attachment method.
I’ve been going back and forth on this, as a “bolted on” would be easiest to service, but also probably the least solid of the options (screws can very easily come loose!). Glue is potentially more smooth, but could also open up the possibility of the wood shrinking while the metal doesn’t, causing the fretboard to warp. I think the bolts would probably lack this issue but who knows.

However, I think that if I can get the tolerances super small/hand fit the fretboards, I might be able to alleviate the fitment issues entirely. We’ll see.

paulnb57
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnb57 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Loving the idea of ally necks......
A couple of thoughts....
Re the fretboard, if it was something other than wood, phenolic resin or something then it would be more stable than wood, so wouldn't shrink and could be CNC'd to fit into the machined recess accurately....
It could be fitted with some nice, small, countersunk allen bolts which could also double up as fret markers...

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm

If your interests are in small scale production and not just doing a few every so often to get some cash and get some necks on the market it would be worth while looking into having them cast rough sizes and finish them on the cnc. Casting can be surprisingly competitive to straight milling when you factor in the cost of all that aluminium that ends up on the floor, machine time, cutters and general wear and tear. This depends on your locality though, not all foundries will take small orders and not all areas have a small foundries that specialize in small scale work. Good to sort this out from the start even if you plan on doing the first batch completely on the mill, don't want to find yourself with a massive backlog and a dead CNC looking for alternatives in a rush.

I suspect stainless frets should be hard enough to fret an alloy fretboard in the usual manor if the a slot size is right, would need an arbor press to get them in though. The tang could be shapped better for the task though.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm

paulnb57 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm
A couple of thoughts....
Re the fretboard, if it was something other than wood, phenolic resin or something then it would be more stable than wood, so wouldn't shrink and could be CNC'd to fit into the machined recess accurately....
It could be fitted with some nice, small, countersunk allen bolts which could also double up as fret markers...
The aluminum neck community is the only community I’ve seen that ASKS for resin fretboards over wood. I’m down with trying resin if people prefer, just thought wood would be the preferred option!

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 pm

oid wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm
If your interests are in small scale production and not just doing a few every so often to get some cash and get some necks on the market it would be worth while looking into having them cast rough sizes and finish them on the cnc. Casting can be surprisingly competitive to straight milling when you factor in the cost of all that aluminium that ends up on the floor, machine time, cutters and general wear and tear. This depends on your locality though, not all foundries will take small orders and not all areas have a small foundries that specialize in small scale work. Good to sort this out from the start even if you plan on doing the first batch completely on the mill, don't want to find yourself with a massive backlog and a dead CNC looking for alternatives in a rush.

I suspect stainless frets should be hard enough to fret an alloy fretboard in the usual manor if the a slot size is right, would need an arbor press to get them in though. The tang could be shapped better for the task though.
This is actually a really good point, thank you! The end goal is definitely some sort of small scale production, but for now I was planning on making just a few batches at a time to judge demand. If the demand is sufficient, I’ll definitely look to outsourcing the casting process. The entirely milling route just makes more sense at the minute because my friend owns the CNC machine and will let me prototype whenever.

As for steel frets, that sounds like a good idea, I’ll look into it. For now, though, I want to keep maintainance within the realm of any local luthier a customer may have access to, and I think that having an aluminum fretboard could potentially lead to complications. This will help keep end user costs down and better fit the goal of practicality for the working musician.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 am

alkalineHemlock wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm
paulnb57 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm
A couple of thoughts....
The aluminum neck community is the only community I’ve seen that ASKS for resin fretboards over wood. I’m down with trying resin if people prefer, just thought wood would be the preferred option!
Resin is the way to go by a country mile, lack of atmospheric action/shrinkage in different temperatures is one of the main reasons I play guitars with that as a fretboard material. Everyone saying go with Ebanol is dead right, plus it looks great and doesn't throw people off as much as guitars where the fretboard is also aluminium. RE the headstock design nobody seems to be doing 6 a side headstocks in the community, if you could corner that market with something original and not just a Fender rip-off you'd be sorted.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:42 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 am

...RE the headstock design nobody seems to be doing 6 a side headstocks in the community, if you could corner that market with something original and not just a Fender rip-off you'd be sorted.
Yeah, I’m looking into casting my own resin boards or sourcing them from someone. Because this is gonna be small scale at the moment, I’d like to offer various options, fretboards included. As for the headstock, an inline 6 headstock is definitely a possibility! The problem is making something distinctive, and I want to take advantage of aluminum’s strength to make it stand out, so we’ll see where I end up. I’ve always wanted an inline 6 headstock on an aluminum neck, and wondered why no one’s really done it yet.

paulnb57
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnb57 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:47 pm

alkalineHemlock wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:42 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:

...RE the headstock design nobody seems to be doing 6 a side headstocks in the community, if you could corner that market with something original and not just a Fender rip-off you'd be sorted.
Yeah, I’m looking into casting my own resin boards or sourcing them from someone. Because this is gonna be small scale at the moment, I’d like to offer various options, fretboards included. As for the headstock, an inline 6 headstock is definitely a possibility! The problem is making something distinctive, and I want to take advantage of aluminum’s strength to make it stand out, so we’ll see where I end up. I’ve always wanted an inline 6 headstock on an aluminum neck, and wondered why no one’s really done it yet.
Gut feeling the extra length of a six aside adds more neck heaviness to an already heavy neck, however a six aside head could easily be weight relieved from the back with no loss of rigidity, I do wonder also if the neck could be weight relieved under a separate fretboard I'd love an Ally Fender style neck....

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 pm

paulnb57 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:47 pm
alkalineHemlock wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:42 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:

Gut feeling the extra length of a six aside adds more neck heaviness to an already heavy neck, however a six aside head could easily be weight relieved from the back with no loss of rigidity, I do wonder also if the neck could be weight relieved under a separate fretboard I'd love an Ally Fender style neck....
Neck dive is a factor that I’m taking into account, for sure. I don’t think that the inline 6 headstock really adds TOO much length if done right, but it may be just enough to tip that balance. I do have some background in elementary physics, so I’ll be doing some basic simulations, but really, we’ll have to weight and see (ha). As for weight reduction under the fretboard, this is definitely happening one way or the other, just to keep us from all getting scoliosis.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 am

I would caution you on the use of stainless steel fret pressed directly into aluminum, they are on opposite ends of the galvanic scale and the chemical reaction between the two with salt air (marine environment) or sweat (a hard working guitarist) will cause corrosion. The aluminum where the two touch will turn to white powder. Set in a resin board won't be a problem unless the ends touch the channel edges.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:16 pm

kdanie wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 am
I would caution you on the use of stainless steel fret pressed directly into aluminum, they are on opposite ends of the galvanic scale and the chemical reaction between the two with salt air (marine environment) or sweat (a hard working guitarist) will cause corrosion. The aluminum where the two touch will turn to white powder. Set in a resin board won't be a problem unless the ends touch the channel edges.

ken
Oh, wow, I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for letting me know!

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 am

Just FYI, both EGC and Innovative Guitars have offered (or do offer) 6-inline headstocks.

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 am

Aluminum is pretty soft, I wouldn't use that for the fret material. Not sure how the rest of the neck would stand up. Wouldn't be opposed to it in theory.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:52 am

mcatano wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 am

...Just FYI, both EGC and Innovative Guitars have offered (or do offer) 6-inline headstocks.
Yeah, I came across those in my research. They look pretty good!
The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 am
Aluminum is pretty soft, I wouldn't use that for the fret material. Not sure how the rest of the neck would stand up. Wouldn't be opposed to it in theory.
Aluminum necks actually have a bit of a cult following. Frets are generally a more traditional material, like steel, but the construction has been done in the past already. I just want to offer them at a more accessible price.