Replacing a Neck - what do I need to know?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Replacing a Neck - what do I need to know?

Post by MrShake » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:03 pm

I have a VM Jag that I really like, but never bonded with the neck. The fretboard radius, specifically. I gave it a good shot, but 9.5" isn't for me.

I got an Allparts unfinished neck, one of the JGRO someone had in stock, leftover from before the CITES change, I guess.

I want to get it "standard gloss" finished. Tru Oil isn't my bag, and since I live in a small city apartment, doing it myself is out of the question. So, I figure I need to send this to a luthier to get some stuff done, right?

What do I need?

- Finish (poly's fine)
- Any fretwork (what will I need?)
- Tuners (Using the ones on there is fine)
- Nut / filing
- Drilling

Am I missing anything? Other than paying for a setup at the end of it (I could do it myself, but it's likely a required cost, etc).

I want to make sure I know what I'm asking for, and don't get taken for a ride. I asked a local luthier who came highly recommended for a quote and he cited me about $400. That seemed a little high, but I mean, if that's what it costs, that's what it costs. I'd still be parting together my "ideal Jaguar" for way less than even MIM pricing. But I can't even figure out who to contact up here in the New England area, and if I can drop it somewhere rather than ship it, I'd be happy to save the money and trouble and worry.

All my searches here and in search engines come up with wild variations and some ridiculous suggestions, but you offset experts will steer me right.

What do I need to make sure I'm asking for, and can anyone suggest a ballpark pricing for what I should expect to pay for the above work?

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Replacing a Neck - what do I need to know?

Post by hpr_hpr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

Is it that you don't like the look of True oil (or oil based finishes in general) or is it the 'fell' that's the problem? Personally I'm not a great fan of high gloss finishes on the back of a neck as they always fell 'sticky' to me, my thumb just slides as easily as with an oil or satin finish but to each their own. If you can do the finishing yourself that will reduce the price by half or so. If you're OK with a poly finish you can always try some gloss wipe on poly . . . . you can always sand a bit of poplar to the approximate shape of the back of the neck and give it a couple of coats and see how you like that . . . .

$400 doesn't seem ridiculous if you want a complete professional spray job, leveling & crowning the frets and a custom nut . . . . . Remember this is skilled work and these people (should) charge as any other skilled crafts man . . . . $50 - 100/hr + parts/supplies. (frankly if someone quoted you only $200 for that list I would want to know WHY and see some references of past work before I'd commit as I'd suspect that this would in the end cost more, or that the work will be below par)
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".