Series/Parallel mod diagram

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThisFrenchMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Series/Parallel mod diagram

Post by ThisFrenchMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 am

Hello knowledgeable people of offsetguitars.com,

I have recently been looking forward to modding my Road Worn Jag to be able to have both pickups in series.

While many people achieve that by turning the bass cut switch into a series/parallel one, I actually find that feature quite useful, so this is what I'm looking for : everything works as normal except when both pickup swithces are down, they work in series.

While doing some research I found on this very forum two old threads mentioning exactly what I want. However they provide two different diagrams !

Thread 1 : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=62256
Here, HNB posted a diagram from Seymour Duncan, and says that "when you have BOTH pickup switches off, it puts the pickups in series".

Thread 2 : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=48623
Here, Azzmaster posted another diagram, and also says that it gets the pickups working in series when both switches are off.

Which one is the correct diagram? Eventually, do both of them work the same?

Cheers,

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Series/Parallel mod diagram

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 pm

They both work, and are for all intents and purposes identical.

• The 'strangle switch' uses different halves of the same type (DPST) switch, electrically there are no differences.

• The SD diagram has the grounds as symbols, the other diagram has them drawn as wires . . .

Do you see anything else?
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Series/Parallel mod diagram

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Just thought I’d mention the option of having the two pickup switches activate series mode when both in “down” or “off” position. I’d go for this rather than losing the strangle switch. The diagram is somewhere on this site if you’re interested