A Modern Classic Build?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Frusciante93
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

A Modern Classic Build?

Post by Frusciante93 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hey guys!

So... yeah, pretty misleading/clickbaity title, but here we go:

I've been having an itch for a Jazzmaster, and I believe I should start investing in it, so since I don't quite have the variety and acessible prices down here in Brasil for Fenders, I decided that I might as well just build a custom jazzmaster, and my main gripe that I can't seem to decide is on the bridge/tremolo.

I already got the woods down, the tuners, the pickups, the electronics... all the good stuff. But now comes the curveball. Since this is a custom build, I'd like to make the bridge the best I can. I've been reading up on the "problem" with the regular bridge, and the possible solutions to it, namely 4 of them: Mustang/ TOM (Tune-O-Matic)/ Staytrem and lastly, Mastery.

I've eyeballed all of them, and from what I gather, here's whats up:

Mustang - simple "drop-in" solution if you're just replacing the "stock" bridge on regular Fenders, but it could be better (or there are some different (dare I say better?) options) - I could try and find one here, but then again, I don't really know;

TOM - also a "drop-in" fix. A little more problematic because TOM bridges aren't adaptable to regular jazzmaster necks (7.5" radius, whereas the bridge would ideally work with a 12"), but that wouldn't be a big problem in my case, because the neck could have a 12" radius (I thought of going with a 9.5" initally, but the 12" wouldn't be a problem in this case) and it's more acessible down here - could easily buy a Gotoh TOM or maybe a roller TOM;

(UPDATE: They don't send em to Brasil, so... yeah, it's off the list!) Staytrem - A pretty precise piece... I was checking their website (also e-mailed them regarding it) and saw that they make 9.5" versions, which would go well with my initial idea of a little more "modern" configuration on a Jazzmaster. The thing is, the price is in pounds, and I'd have to import it. Still, seems cheaper than the next option, but I'd buy a AVRI 62 tremolo (for the locking thingy for string/tuning stability) and use the staytrem bridge and arm piece.

(After the Staytrem shipping debacle, I don't know if this will work either...) Mastery - I'd probably import the full set (trem,arm and bridge), but that'd be the most expensive, which would make my project take way longer than it should. But, all pieces would come from the same manufacturer, so I guess it would "guarantee" that it'd be the easiest setup... It'd just be really expensive (practically the price of all the other parts together sans finish).

So yeah... here are the contenders! Question time:

I heard that the TOM bridge is an OKish replacement, because of the mismatched radius and the fact that the bridge is "solid" - whereas a "true" jazzmaster bridge should move together with the tremolo in order to assure the proper functionality and effect. Given the fact that I could "solve" the mismatched radius issue, by making a 12" neck. Then comes the "moving" issue... How does it fare?

If the TOM bridge would be too far from the truth, what would you say would be the best - trying to save some buck going mustang + avri, going mid route with the Staytrem or splurging on the Mastery set?

I guess it got a little long, but I hope I could explain the issue well enough so you guys can chime in with ideas... :blush:

Thanks!
Last edited by Frusciante93 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frusciante93
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: A Modern Classic Build?

Post by Frusciante93 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Oh yeah! I almost forgot.

For those interested on the build specs, here it goes:

Body: One piece Freijó (I looked up the translation, it'd be Brazilian Walnut (US) / Salmwood (UK)? Down here luthiers claim it's our Ash) - I could also get Ash or Alder, but the guy that'll make the body says he could only get 2-piece bodies, so I thought I might aswell go with Freijó (it's also cost effective while being 1 piece).

Neck: Maple neck with Rosewood (Jacarandá) fretboard - it'll have stainless steel jescar jumbo frets with MOP dots, no binding, double carbon fiber reinforced, with a double-action "Spoke" nut truss rod. It'll also have a skunk stripe in the back. Radius still up for grabs, since I'll decide it when I can figure out what kind of bridge/trem situation I'll go for. Should go for a not-so-fat C shaped neck.

Pickups: Vintage correct Fullertone (Brazilian made) Custom jazzmaster Pickups - https://www.fullertonepickups.com/jazz-master. I'll probably copper shield the cavity to try and mitigate hum, but since I love P90s and Single Coils, I don't quite mind it. Eduardo (from Fullertone pickups) will probably do the whole electric setup - a no frills single tone, single volume and 3-way-pickup selector... no Rythym and Lead circuitry.

Brige and Trem: the whole issue above?

Tuners: Gotoh SD91 MG-T Locking Tuners (vintage look);

Probably an olympic white/ivory finish with a tortoise shield.

So... what do you guys think? (of the bridge situation from the post above...lol)

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 am

Although not as nearly as nice as Mastery or Straytrem, the roller bridge I got from Guitarfetish as a drop in replacement for a tom on a Classic Player works great. The roller saddles make a difference when trem is used, and the guitar stays in tune really well. It was only something like $22.

Frusciante93
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frusciante93 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 am

Very nice! I hadn't considered that. I'll look into Guitar Fetish and if they ship to Brasil. Thanks for the recomendation!

About the radius thing, since this isn't a replacement, but a brand new build, would you say that that roller bridge only matches 12" radius necks or a 9.5" would work as well?

All the best,

Gus

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:18 am

I believe it's a 12" radius. It's supposed to be a replacement for Les Pauls which have a 12" radius. It doesn't bother me at all. It's not that big of a difference from 9.5" radius he CP freeboard has.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:40 am

May I confound the whole bridge conundrum by suggesting something a bit more radical and customizable? What about a Compton bridge? It’s a solid piece of metal with a ridge along the top for intonation. He’ll build them:
1)out of any number of metals for you
2) with whatever radius, string spacing, post hole size, etc you like.
Your posts DO need to be in the right spot because there’s no moving it around to adjust once it’s on, but I get excellent intonation with mine (I now have three guitars with them) and love what it does for the tone, sustain, and overall feel of the guitar. There’s nothing to move, buzz, or go out of whack in these, and they only cost 60-90 bucks, depending on what metal you order. Check it:

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 am

If you're still leaning towards a Staytrem or a Mastery and the lack of shipping options is the only thing stopping you, I'm sure a fellow OSG member could help you out by forwarding a package to you.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:26 am

Frusciante93 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:36 pm
TOM - also a "drop-in" fix. A little more problematic because TOM bridges aren't adaptable to regular jazzmaster necks (7.5" radius,
They are.

About 5 minutes of work with a nut file cutting the slots to suit.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.