Classic Player JM Build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Azentzvox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Classic Player JM Build

Post by Azentzvox » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey guys new here to OSG.

I used to have a CP JM that I loved, however I sold due to some tough financial times. I’m looking at buying another however I’m considering doing some upgrades. My current plan is to put in a Mastery Bridge and Trem and some Lollars. What do you think? On the other hand part of me thinks maybe I should just buy an American Standard JM cause the $$$ will but much more comparable at that point. But will the American JM leave me wanting Lollars and a different bridge still?

Also, happy to be part of the community, I’ve been reading here as a guest for years. Thanks!

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player JM Build

Post by 601210 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 am

First of all, CP JMs use an AOM bridge so a Mastery Bridge won't even fit without dowelling and drilling into the body.

I think the consensus with the Mastery Trem is yeah, it's a good piece of kit, and it's smoother than a standard trem (brushed aluminum looks sexy, too) but it might not be that big an improvement for the amount you pay for it.

My guess is if you get an American JM it won't really leave you wanting more, unless you already have it in your head that you want more. It'll be pretty great out of the box, but if you're already thinking "Man, what if I had these upgrades?" it's hard to shake that feeling.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 am

From what I understand, the two features that mostly stand out on a CP are hotter pickups and the AOM bridge with closer trem. If you don't like these two, which are the things that make them the CP, than I think that buying the CP is a bad idea.

Maybe you should get a Squier VM.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

my main man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by my main man » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 am

If you've got the bug where you're really wanting to customize the thing, consider buying an unfinished body and neck from Warmoth or something. I'm building a Warmoth Jaguar right now. Just strung it up and it far exceeds my expectations, playability-wise. That way, you can go nuts and get the exact guitar that's in your mind.

Right now on Warmoth, you could get a body and neck for $312 + shipping. Painting a guitar is really fun if you've never done it before.

Azentzvox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Azentzvox » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Hey guys just following up on my project.

I bought the CP and put on the mastery bridge and trek. I didn’t have to do any drilling. Just new thimbles. I shielded the entire body cavity and pick guard as well. I then took fine sand paper (1000 grit I think) and took the gloss off the neck for a silky satin feel. I actually have come to really like the pick ups they get nice and crunchy on the drive side of my super sonic 22.
Anyways, I’m in love with this guitar.

Thanks guys!

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:24 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying it! I’ve played my CP quite a bit over the years and it shows. I’ve changed out the pickups (now AV65 in the neck and Novak Gf at the bridge), but it still feels the same even if the sounds are a little glassier.