G&L Rampage - what should I do? (Poll)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

What looks best on that Rampage?

Black Pickguard
57%
Black Pickguard with Black Competition Stripes
13%
White Pickguard
No votes
White Pickguard with Blue Competition Stripes
No votes
Pearloid Pickguard with Competition Stripe
No votes
Refinish + Black Pickguard
22%
Sell it and get a G&L Fallout
9%

Total votes: 23

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

G&L Rampage - what should I do? (Poll)

Post by NICQ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

So I am a bit in a dilemma here - maybe OSG has some ideas or opinions that help me decide where to go with this...
I came across a G&L Rampage Tribute (Jerry Cantrell's Signature Model) on our local Craigslist pendant - pretty much used and "modded" - the former owner tried to install a neck humbucker and "carved" out the cavity for that... also the holes for the jack input has been drilled

The guitar itself was not in a terrible condition but the mods were done quite poorly
Obviously by a metalhead (EMG pickup) who then left the project

I bought it on impulse as I have always wanted a G&L Fallout, which has a different shape (more mustang - less strat) but also a Humbucker + P90 in the neck... The Rampage also has a Kahler tremolo - I have only played FloydRose trems so far so I was intrigued.. also I like JerryCantrell ;)

anyway - I routed the cavity properly for a p90, cut a temporary pickguard to play around with ideas and installed the output jack on the side but now I do not really know where to go from here

Options :

Black Pickguard

Black Pickguard with Competition Stripes

White Pickguard

White Pickguard with Competition Stripes

Pearloid Pickguard with Competition Stripes

or just go and refinish it in blue/grey metallic or wine red

or maybe just sell it and get a Fallout ?!

I have upgraded the original smoked nickel hardware to black and while the build quality is great somehow I'm not really bonding with the guitar so I think about selling it. It has a matching headstock so the refinish option would imply keeping it (no G&L Logo anymore, no JerryCantrell Signature..) ... or is it too heavily modded as it is ?

I don't know - somehow a cool super strat with Kahler Trem - I could throw a duncan humbucker + wolfetone p90 in it and have a metal guitar
But the yellowy pudding color bothers me a bit in that scenario...

I think I wanted a Fallout, saw that one - bought it and now after modding it as close to a Fallout as I could (p90, pickguard) I kinda realize it's not gonna be a Fallout ;D

I'm clueless - anyone have a idea?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: G&L Rampage - what should I do? (Poll)

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:25 am

Keep it, mod it and make it look awesome and then post the results in the G&L forum. The guys are very inspired lately, you may inspire a new version or model down the line.

edit: I like what you're doing with the pickguard. Have you tried one with a Cavalier/Skyhawk style guard? The body is the same, so those guards will look good too and you can do whatever you want with the control plate area.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 am

I like both the white and black each with competition stripe, but what I would say is black guard with blue comp stripes!! Neat project and good on you for saving it!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

9mmninjamonkey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 9mmninjamonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 am

Definitely keep and mod no matter what color you choose. That Fallout-style pickguard would clean that up real nice.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Keep it and mod it, then sell if you hate it! I think this has potential to be a super sick project, especially with that guard design.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Keep mod, your pickguard idea is super cool. And that trem looks super interesting and would be a big bonus relative to a fallout.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:55 pm

solfege wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm
Keep mod, your pickguard idea is super cool. And that trem looks super interesting and would be a big bonus relative to a fallout.
This.
This is an excellent rectangle

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 pm

One thing though. If I weren't going to refin it, I'd be thinking brown tort pickguard with that color. Though that might be better with the original hardware.