Help me make a dumb decision

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Which direction should I take this build?

3 P90's Please!
32%
Strat's where it's at!
9%
I've got Mustang hunger pangs!
35%
Something else entirely!
24%

Total votes: 34

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me make a dumb decision

Post by alkalineHemlock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:23 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm
I've never played a mosrite myself, but my understanding is that it sounds like a P90 on steroids, with more high end.
Oooh, I like the sound of that.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm
2 is the correct number of pickups and the correct number of pickups is 2.
If you like single coils and want something unique... Coil-split SD Stag Mag in the bridge. P90 in the neck.

OR a G&L ASAT Classic neck pickup, that is a really unique neck pickup that would match well with the Stag Mag.

Damn, I just convinced myself of a project.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I'll second the Novak Mosrite direction. They are fantastic pickups and it's a shame they didn't get more of a buzz going, a lot of effort was put into them. The main difference with a P90 is the thinner gauge wire and a wider wooden core around the pole screws, along with a bunch of extra metal close to the coil. The difference in coil geometry (because the wire is thinner with roughly the same number of turns as your regular p90) accounts for the brighter sound. I wound a couple for one of my bandmates and they sound yummy, especially with a tremolo.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 pm

I do like the sound of those Stag Mags, but they seem like non-adjustable WRHB to me, unless I’m mistaken? I’ve kinda got that base covered. The ASAT neck pickup is intriguing though.

The mosrite/P90 route seems the most popular, and, to me, the most interesting. I don’t know if I can afford the Novak Mosrite pickups yet, but I figure I can throw those in down the line. I might also throw in a foil in the middle, possibly, so two P90’s and a foil?

I’m excited, this may turn out way radder than expected when it’s all said and done!

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am

Alright, thanks to your guys’ input, I’ve decided I’m going P90-Minihum-P90, like so:

(Not the prettiest mockup, but you get the idea.)

Controls will be the normal JM layout, but the upper horn will control the middle pickup, allowing for all 3 to be blaring at once, or any combo of the three.

Eventually, the plan is to swap the middle pickup for a gold foil and the P90’s for Mosrite style P90’s once I gather the funds.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am

P90 look good and are easy to mount. A mix/match of pickups looks messy and to me only makes sense if you NEED the different types for what you play. I would do 3 p90s wound to 6k-7k instead of normal higher output because they can sound pretty surfy if needed. I also like the GFS gold foil p90 sounds. They don't seem to have demos for the HB versions but here's an Alnico single coil demo.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Go ... 21948.html

UNLESS you really feel the need for a Strat type... you can't do much better than a set of Rose American Beauty strat pickups. They are also GREAT in a 'Stang & 'stang covers fit because they are staggered on the back side.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

I like the idea of the JM pickup in the neck position and the Gold Foil at the bridge. I did this in my CP JM and it sounds great, both clean through my PR and dirty through my Tremolux.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 pm

wproffitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am
I like the idea of the JM pickup in the neck position and the Gold Foil at the bridge. I did this in my CP JM and it sounds great, both clean through my PR and dirty through my Tremolux.

I saw your thread on that! Really admire the result, btw.

But in the end, I chose this pickup combo bc I played a friend’s jazzcaster with a mini hum in the neck. The out of phase, weird interaction between the two was something I wanted to use, hence the hum/single mix.

The gold foil bridge would have been a cool option too, though; that CP sounds awesome!

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:35 pm

kdanie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am
P90 look good and are easy to mount. A mix/match of pickups looks messy and to me only makes sense if you NEED the different types for what you play. I would do 3 p90s wound to 6k-7k instead of normal higher output because they can sound pretty surfy if needed. I also like the GFS gold foil p90 sounds. They don't seem to have demos for the HB versions but here's an Alnico single coil demo.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Go ... 21948.html

UNLESS you really feel the need for a Strat type... you can't do much better than a set of Rose American Beauty strat pickups. They are also GREAT in a 'Stang & 'stang covers fit because they are staggered on the back side.

ken
Yeah, I went back and forth on the mix-n-match thing, but in the end, I think it looks pretty cool. I was pretty influenced by puisheen’s “Threepio” on instagram.

I’m gonna end up changing out the p90 covers for open chrome covers, or those open ones from decoboom once they come out. But even now, I’m pretty happy with the look!

I’ll check out those strat pups too, but I’m on a pretty tight budget, so it may have to wait. Might need to do a stang build later down the line... Just sold off my mustang so I’m missing a shortscale guitar in my repertoire. Thanks for the heads up!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

I love chrome, so on the subject of mixing pickup types, how about...

Telecaster neck pickup, lipstick tube middle pickup, tri-sonic bridge pickup?

There's method to my madness. Fender neck pickups are basically my favourite tone in the world. Middle is my favourite location for a lipstick tube, and the tri-sonic is just about the perfect bridge pickup tone IMO.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Top option, except just 2 P90s.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

There's method to my madness. Fender neck pickups are basically my favourite tone in the world. Middle is my favourite location for a lipstick tube, and the tri-sonic is just about the perfect bridge pickup tone IMO.
It’s a smorgasbords of chrome tone! Maybe I can jam a jag plate or two in there and go with Inca silver instead...

It would blind the audience!

On the topic of tri-sonics, though, how do you feel about them in a set? Like, do they work well in all positions? I’ve had my eye on them for a while ever since I saw them in Alex Turner’s jazzmaster (Also, of course Brian May, but he goes without saying), but never pulled the trigger.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm

The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm
But I could buy that guitar anywhere! I want something complicated and stupid!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm

alkalineHemlock wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

It’s a smorgasbords of chrome tone! Maybe I can jam a jag plate or two in there and go with Inca silver instead...

It would blind the audience!

On the topic of tri-sonics, though, how do you feel about them in a set? Like, do they work well in all positions? I’ve had my eye on them for a while ever since I saw them in Alex Turner’s jazzmaster (Also, of course Brian May, but he goes without saying), but never pulled the trigger.
Tri-sonics are among my most recent "eureka!" pickup discoveries. I have a set of the strat-sized "mini" trisonic as well as a vintage early-60's one that I've tried as a bridge pickup. The modern minis are definitely strattier, but not strat-like in a direct comparison. The narrower shape just sounds...narrower. Sharper, not quite as full.

I love them so much, I'm putting a set of the minis into a Marauder II build I have in the works.

They kind of occupy a similar space to the G&L MFD pickups, which kind of makes sense since they both employ ceramic bar magnets in a single coil now that I think about it. You get the kind of treble you only get out of a single coil, but with full bass and present but not hyped midrange. I like them a lot more than P90's, which I find too congested in the mids.

In the neck and middle, a trisonic-style pickup is very full but still clear. In the bridge, it's one of the best tones I've ever heard. Has treble bite and snarl in a way that only a great single coil does, but so full and so versatile.

There's an immediacy to the string attack that I love. The opposite of what a goldfoil or PAF does where the attack is round off and compressed. The trisonic just kind of launches notes out there in a way that would be sharp if it didn't have so much low end and midrange to go along with it.

This is what the full-size reissues sound like with a 25.5" scale. They're made overseas and are quite a decent value in tone-per-dollar. This is the directly comparable demo with the minis. The minis are more familiar to a Fender-acclimated ear. Same character, just a bit more slanted toward the treble. It's kind of like comparing a strat to a JM pickup in that sense (due to similar changes in coil geometry).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 pm

alkalineHemlock wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm
The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm
But I could buy that guitar anywhere! I want something complicated and stupid!
In that case, four Jag pickups!