Costello-ish Bastard Jag Build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Costello-ish Bastard Jag Build

Post by Acidhouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 am

I love the way this turned out. Great job!

my main man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Costello-ish Bastard Jag Build (all done! finished pics page 4)

Post by my main man » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Alright, I'm super glad I brought it to my tech/luthier friend. It had a bad jack plus I fucked up a few of the contact points so he got it all straightened out for me and cleaned up the guts plus gave it a much better setup than I could have done. This thing plays like a god damned dream now. Instantly my favorite guitar and the Mojotone Johnny Winter pickups completely exceeded my expectations. If you are looking for Firebird pickups for a future project, I wholeheartedly recommend them without hesitation. I'm going to bring it to my friend's studio in the next few weeks. I'll try to get him to record a pro sound sample so you can hear them. I was playing on the porch last night through a crappy small modeling amp I keep out there that sounds pretty bad most of the time and my wife yelled from the other room, "WHATEVER THAT IS, IT SOUNDS AMAZING."

Only thing left is to add strap buttons and maybe get a custom headstock decal but that is going to have to happen a bit into the future. For now, I leave you with some finished pics. I'll be back with some new projects in the near future.

Here it is with its heavily modified VMJM offset sibling.

And here are more similar photos using a newer nice camera that I don't fully understand yet.

Here's my dog making another photobomb appearance. She's cool.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Great job! Looks fantastic. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:30 pm

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DuelingOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DuelingOffsets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am

Beautiful beyond words. Did your guitar begin life as a Made-in-USA Fender? Squier VM Jaguar? MIJ Jaguar? I'm wondering what tone wood the body was constructed of. Beautiful! How was that finish accomplished? Is the neck original to the guitar?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 am

Now you need to do a Mustang like Eric Haugen's!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DuelingOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DuelingOffsets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 am

I was torn between trying Lollar Firebird pickups and the Mojotones that you used. Between your wife's comment and demos that I've heard I'm leaning in the direction of the Mojotones. I'm looking forward to hearing your demo. Did you make any other change to the electronics?

DuelingOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DuelingOffsets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 am

Oops, got my answers by looking back at your earlier posts.