65 Firemist Tele replica with Syd Barrett sound - questions?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Marc
Expat
Expat

65 Firemist Tele replica with Syd Barrett sound - questions?

Post by Marc » Sun May 27, 2018 12:38 am

Some years ago I acquired a very beat early '65 Tele that had been stripped and had a t-top fitted badly. I took it apart and it was sad to see someone had ruined a very rare guitar. Not only was it one of the last green nitrate guards but it also transpired from the paint left under the guard it was originally Firemist Gold, then sprayed blue, then stripped and hacked for a humbucker. I got it fully restored here's the evidence:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/25zfjeybc/

Sadly I had to sell it during the financial crisis as well as all my other vintage pieces. The gold Tele actually resurfaced on eBay a couple of years ago but wasn't in the position to buy it back which killed me.

So I've decided to make a replica of it and get Rexter to do the paint. I could do with some help on some parts sourcing if poss?

It had a very skinny neck and a pronounced Tadeo carve around the volute. I see Musikraft do that as well as all the other late 60s neck specs. I will go with Pau Ferro to avoid CITES.

Could anyone recommend a body maker or is Musikraft as good as any for a standard alder 2 piece?

Where can I get a bridge plate that has the patent number stamped rather than PAT APPLIED FOR? Prefer aged if poss.
Who does L Series neck plate stamps with correct font?
Tuners - I know the reissue double striped Kluson reissues were not that great when they first came out and were also slightly different size - possibly they were made by Ping. Is this still the case and, if so where can I get some decently aged (not dumped in vinegar or acid and plating stripped!) that are decent? I know the new Fender single striped tuners which I think are made by Gotoh are good. I want some of those but aged like the custom shop does it - kind of a dull matte look.
Recommendations for flat top aged knobs?
Pickups - I love the sound of Syd Barrets mid sixties Esquire so if anyone could recommend a maker that could get close to that. Again aged would be nice.

I think that's it - I have sourced a decent decal and real nitrate green guard. Thanks in advance!

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 65 Firemist Tele replica with Syd Barrett sound - questions?

Post by rexter » Sun May 27, 2018 1:02 am

ooooh :w00t: eagerly await to hear from you on this!

That original one looks lovely... sorry you had to sell it. I sold a lot of guitars back then too and can't see a point where I'll be in a position to replace them anytime soon. I'm 100% parts and custom built guitars these days and actually really happy with that.

Anyway...

My shopping list for Tuesday morning after the bank holiday is largely based around 10L of lacquer and a new big can of Firemist Gold. Man, it's seriously one of the best colours for a Tele... I've been wanting one for myself ever since I sprayed one for Joe on here last summer.

You can get Gotoh SD91 tuners (probably the best imho) ready aged and they look ok, not too over the top.

I can source you a body over here that would be just as good too and probably save you a big chunk on import taxes - also my finishing works out cheaper with a body too. Just drop me a PM anytime.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun May 27, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks Rexter - good to hear about a UK source for the body. In terms of timescales I'm talking months rather than weeks so please don't buy any extra paint on account of my project.

Yes - I sold 6 or 7 guitars late 2008 and made a sizeable loss.... My timing for separating from my wife couldn't have been worse.

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Sun May 27, 2018 1:48 am

Marc wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:33 am
Thanks Rexter - good to hear about a UK source for the body. In terms of timescales I'm talking months rather than weeks so please don't buy any extra paint on account of my project.

Yes - I sold 6 or 7 guitars late 2008 and made a sizeable loss.... My timing for separating from my wife couldn't have been worse.
Sounds like it was especially rough, damn...
No problem on timescale, that works for me. I Need the paint anyway as I'm planning to bulk up on inventory over the next month to launch my website/shop. Speak soon hopefully!

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ClintCC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Definitely want to see this get build as a Syd Barrett fan and a firemist gold tell fan lol

offsets4life
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsets4life » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Don't forget the glued on circular mirrors. ;)