Std. Jazzmaster + Les Paul wiring

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
lammie200
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Std. Jazzmaster + Les Paul wiring

Post by lammie200 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:04 am

I am working on a Jazzmaster project that I want to:

1. Retain the standard Jazzmaster rhythm circuitry;
2. Change the three-way switch to allow for Les Paul wiring with two volumes and two tones for each pick up with concentric pots.

From what I can tell the three way switch with the all around standard Jazzmaster wiring is jumped at the middle two terminals to only allow for the volume and tone pots to work with both both pickups on at once. My idea is to split those two terminals off individually for neck concentric volume and tone, and then bridge concentric volume and tone. Has anyone done this or something similar? Any comments?
Strat Kinman KITA set, Tele SD Seth Lover neck only, Jazzmaster Kinman Thickmaster set, Jazzmaster 12 Rose Picasso set, Martin SC-13E Special, Gibson ES-390, ES-165 490R, ES-165 BJB, Henriksen Jazz Amp x2 for Stereo

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Std. Jazzmaster + Les Paul wiring

Post by solfege » Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am

lammie200 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:04 am

2. Change the three-way switch to allow for Les Paul wiring with two volumes and two tones for each pick up with concentric pots.

From what I can tell the three way switch with the all around standard Jazzmaster wiring is jumped at the middle two terminals to only allow for the volume and tone pots to work with both both pickups on at once. My idea is to split those two terminals off individually for neck concentric volume and tone, and then bridge concentric volume and tone. Has anyone done this or something similar? Any comments?
If you could get solid shaft mini pots of the right value so that the upper controls would work, I can't imagine why it's not doable. I also imagine there's going to be way more LOOOOONG-assed wiring runs than in a Les Paul, without the benefit of humbuckers to help control the noise. So shielding those will matter.

[ETA: Never mind the above, I completely read right past the part about wanting to keep the rhythm circuit just as it is.]
Last edited by solfege on Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lammie200
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lammie200 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm

solfege wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am
lammie200 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:04 am

If you could get solid shaft mini pots of the right value so that the upper controls would work, I can't imagine why it's not doable. I also imagine there's going to be way more LOOOOONG-assed wiring runs than in a Les Paul, without the benefit of humbuckers to help control the noise. So shielding those will matter.
It will have Kinman humbuckers. It looks like all I have to do is to have the output of the three way switch go back to the rhythm switch and then wire both volume pots as inputs to the three way switch. The rhythm switch will still control the liveliness of the lower three way switch. The upper controls will work the same way as they did previously.
Strat Kinman KITA set, Tele SD Seth Lover neck only, Jazzmaster Kinman Thickmaster set, Jazzmaster 12 Rose Picasso set, Martin SC-13E Special, Gibson ES-390, ES-165 490R, ES-165 BJB, Henriksen Jazz Amp x2 for Stereo

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Mon May 21, 2018 2:06 pm

GAH! I just realized I misread your original post.

I think you'd have to use push-pull pots on the lead circuit to get the independent adjustability you'd want. How the hell you'd wire it, though, is beyond my ability with these things.