Not-A (Brand) Headstock Logo ?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
DindonNinja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Not-A (Brand) Headstock Logo ?

Post by DindonNinja » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am

Hello ! How are you guys doing? :)

Recently decided to progress on my Gibson RD Replica (that became more or less on a simple RD-inspired build: I didn't want the 25,5" scale length, even tho I read somewhere that the '80 Artist had a 24,75" scale length)

I'm designing the headstock right now, and I know the debate going around on other forums regarding the headstock logos. Some say it's okay to put the actual brand name on it as long as you don't sell it.

I don't want to sell it (ever) but I don't want to fool anyone either so:

The design I have right now is:

What do you guys think? Is it okay to use that kind of headstock logo?

Thanks a lot !

A.W

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Not-A (Brand) Headstock Logo ?

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 am

I think you're approaching this the right way :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am

I think using that logo with "Not A" is fine. Personally, If I was doing a more or less replica of an existing model or a homage to a particular brands style, I'd rather make a new logo in the style of the original brands logo. That way it fits the look without coming close to looking like a passable knock-off.

For instance:

Or

I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 am

I would just put the crown in the center and leave the rest blank, personally.

DindonNinja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DindonNinja » Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 am

AWSchmit wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am
I think using that logo with "Not A" is fine. Personally, If I was doing a more or less replica of an existing model or a homage to a particular brands style, I'd rather make a new logo in the style of the original brands logo. That way it fits the look without coming close to looking like a passable knock-off.
That looks great man !

I know what you mean, I thought about recreating the logo with a font close to Gibson's but I can't find any good ones + I can't find a good name that could go well with that type of font :D I still have plenty of time to think about it, thanks !

Did you use waterslide decals for those?

Grey wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 am
I would just put the crown in the center and leave the rest blank, personally.
I thought about leaving the headstock blank of any brand name, but it's kinda... well blank, as there is no other headstock inlays RD models :P
Well, there is on the Artist serie, but I'm not skilled enough to make that kind of inlay:

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 am

I like the not a Gibson idea very much, and it's funny.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am

the "NOT A ____" approach is great! 8)
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

DindonNinja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DindonNinja » Mon May 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Is it ? Thanks a lot guys, I'll keep this and AWSchmit's idea in mind !

Thanks !

A.W

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

It's hard to find fault in that approach, honestly.

On the other hand, you could get a repro fender decal to stick on there, just to be a smartass. I'll probably do that to a build at some point, take the blank fender style headstock and put gibson Les Paul decals on there. That way everyone's nose gets a good-natured tweak.

If I made any substantial part of that guitar myself from scratch, though, it'd have my own "brand" on it, though. No sense in giving any credit where none is due.
This is an excellent rectangle

thatfenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thatfenderguy » Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

On the other hand, you could get a repro fender decal to stick on there, just to be a smartass. I'll probably do that to a build at some point, take the blank fender style headstock and put gibson Les Paul decals on there. That way everyone's nose gets a good-natured tweak.

If I made any substantial part of that guitar myself from scratch, though, it'd have my own "brand" on it, though. No sense in giving any credit where none is due.
I purchased some custom 70s style Toronado decals to put on the build Deed_Poll helped me with. But I’m kind of hoping he comes out with his own that I can use.

DindonNinja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DindonNinja » Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

That's actually genius, I love that kind of things ! Taking notes, I'll probably do that on another build too, that's so good ! :D

A.W

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks. Yes I used water slide decal paper for these. You're right, it can be tough to find fonts that match pre existing logos. To hit the nail right on the head I've found that I have to draw them by hand, then scan them and clean them up in photoshop. Best of luck to you.
DindonNinja wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 am
AWSchmit wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am
That looks great man !

I know what you mean, I thought about recreating the logo with a font close to Gibson's but I can't find any good ones + I can't find a good name that could go well with that type of font :D I still have plenty of time to think about it, thanks !

Did you use waterslide decals for those?
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

DindonNinja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DindonNinja » Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 am

Thanks a lot for your tips, I'll maybe try to draw one, even tho I suck at drawing, even letters ! :D

You guys been a great help, thanks again,

A.W