Dynamic Vibratos and Handedness

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Dynamic Vibratos and Handedness

Post by Mike S » Thu May 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Question for a possible project. Can a Dynamic Vibrato be converted to either handedness by taking one apart and flipping the tailpiece? I really don't want to take mine apart to find out, so I'm wondering if someone knows.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dynamic Vibratos and Handedness

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat May 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I tried this mod and some things must be taken into account:

1) Yes, you can flip the sigar and you'll have the whammy hole insert on the lower side (left handed-wise);

2) String-thru vs wrap-around stringing:
Not strictly necessary if you're not super picky about aesthetics but, in order to restore the original string break angle with its stronger sustain and not having a string-thru situation by using the already counter-bored holes on the back, you'd have to counter-bored the string holes on the opposite side of the sigar itself to restore the right-handed situation;

3) Flipping the sigar and using the original string break angle didn't change the fact that -for the life of me- I couldn't manage to keep the damn thing in tune if I have ever dared to use the whammy bar. Still, perfect usage if it was not involved and kept away from the guitar itself.

My experience is based on an original right handed Japanese Fender Mustang Vibrato unity with 3 threads on the sigar posts, not the vintage one nor the no-brand Chinese counterpart.

I hope this helps, good luck :)