Custom wiring question for new Jazzmaster build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
cbphx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Custom wiring question for new Jazzmaster build

Post by cbphx » Fri May 04, 2018 7:06 am

I'm currently putting together a Jazzmaster and not wanting to use the standard rhythm circuit on it. I've read about the dual volume/series and parallel/PTB tone stack wiring mod and this is one option to consider, but what I'm really interested in is Gretsch style wiring and having the series/parallel option via the top switch. So ideally...

- Lower 1M pots stay master volume and master tone
- Lower 3-way toggle stays stock to switch between neck/both/bridge
- Top roller pots both switched to 1M with one controlling the neck volume, one controlling the bridge volume
- Top slide switch keeps pickups in parallel when down, series when up (when the lower toggle is in the middle position)

Is this possible to wire up, has anyone done it to theirs, and are there any diagrams available? I haven't found anything specific for this scenario with searching. I think that I can go off of the duo jet wiring for the pots, but not sure how to get the series/parallel switch in there. Any help would be much appreciated!

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom wiring question for new Jazzmaster build

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am

Possibly.
Probably.
Maybe not complete but the bits and pieces are definitively out there to combine if it is possible.

The one thing I'm not sure of if it's possible to use the slider in the way you want it to. It CAN do series parallel switching but with a standard switch craft toggle the slider switch switches between the setting on the toggle and the PUs in series (regardless of the toggle setting), there may be a toggle version you can substitute that WILL make things to what you want (you would likely need a DP3T or even a 3P3T, a standard switch craft toggle is SP3T) but it can't be done with what you probably already have.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

cbphx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cbphx » Fri May 04, 2018 3:30 pm

It CAN do series parallel switching but with a standard switch craft toggle the slider switch switches between the setting on the toggle and the PUs in series (regardless of the toggle setting)
This would be totally fine too - actually, even better! That way the lead circuit could stay on either the bridge or neck for example, and flipping the switch up to the "rhythm circuit" would have both pickups in series. After taking a look at some different wiring diagrams I'm wondering if this would do it:

Any thoughts on if this would work?

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am

Looks ok, but it does have a 'dead spot' with the slider in series & the toggle in neck.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

cbphx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cbphx » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm

hpr_hpr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am
Looks ok, but it does have a 'dead spot' with the slider in series & the toggle in neck.
Thanks for the input! I'm just picking this project up again and going to start working on the wiring this weekend. From what you can tell, is there an easy fix to that dead spot or is it completely different wiring than this sketch?

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 pm

cbphx wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm
hpr_hpr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am
Thanks for the input! I'm just picking this project up again and going to start working on the wiring this weekend. From what you can tell, is there an easy fix to that dead spot or is it completely different wiring than this sketch?
Nope can't be done with this switch . . . .

your diagram gives you:
Switch in parallel: toggle gives you Neck - Bridge - Parallel
Switch in series: toggle gives you dead - Series - Series

To get rid of the nothing you have to switch the neck connection on the toggle or switch out the toggle completely neither of witch can be done with a 2 pole switch . . . you need to switch neck OUT, Bridge IN & Bridge OUT = 3 poles . . . .

cbphx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cbphx » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 am

That makes sense, thanks!

cbphx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cbphx » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Got around to wiring this up and had to make a couple of tweaks to get the independent volume controls working with the roller pots, but everything appears to be working when testing the switching! Gretsch Pro Jet style volumes and master tone combined with a series/parallel switch. Now to finish this build and really test it out!

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Congrats . . . .

What were the tweaks needed for the roller pots?