Is this Mustang wiring mod doable?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Is this Mustang wiring mod doable?

Post by Ricey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 am

I have a MIJ Cobain Mustang with Duncan JB Bridge and MIJ Mustang neck pup. I would like dual concentric pots so each pup will have independent volume and tone controls. Additionally, would like to be able to split to either coil of the JB, while retaining the out of phase pup option. I was thinking of three potential solutions:

1. Add a mini three-way toggle in between the volume/tone pots to switch between pups and then use one of the existing three way sliders to switch in/out of phase and the other slider to switch the JB between full humbucking, split slug coil, and split screw coil.

2. Use one of the existing 3-way sliders to switch between pups, the other to select in/out of phase options and then add a 3-way mini toggle in-between the volume/tone pots to split coils on the JB, as per above.

3. Basically the same as #2, but flip the function of the mini toggle and the out of phase slider.

Would any of these work or is there another option to achieve my goals?

BTW, I checked under the pickguard and there is no route near the lower horn to install a 3-way toggle like what you see on the current MIM Mustangs and I do no want to route the body.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is this Mustang wiring mod doable?

Post by timtam » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Ricey wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 am
I have a MIJ Cobain Mustang with Duncan JB Bridge and MIJ Mustang neck pup. I would like dual concentric pots so each pup will have independent volume and tone controls.
I do no want to route the body.
Is the cavity deep enough for dual concentric pots ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 pm

The question of concentric pots came up recently, should fit: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108278

I'm not sure how small a mini toggle switch is, but it would probably be a really tight fit between full sized pots with the rest of the wiring and capacitors.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:15 am

DPDT minishwitches are just about 0.25" square if memory serves . . . if you have less than that in clearance between the pots it's not going to fit.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".