Anyone here ever put Strat pickups on a Bass VI (or a Jaguar)?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone here ever put Strat pickups on a Bass VI (or a Jaguar)?

Post by WillPhistre » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 am

So, I play Bass VI almost exclusively. My favorite-sounding VI that I've owned was a shitty squier hardtail strat with a 30" scale conversion neck. For some reason, those ceramic pickups work amazingly well for Bass VI strings. Unfortunately, the neck was too thick for my hands, so I sold it....but I kept the pickups.

Now I have a Squier VI. It's great and all, but I'm into modding it, so I was wondering if throwing strat pickups on there was doable. The body is swimming-pooled, so I don't have to worry about routing. But I DO like my pickguard. So....

Is there a mod that would allow me to remove the guts of a Jag pickup, and replace it with strat pickup guts? Would the magnets fit through the Jag covers properly? And could I make it so that the Jag "claws" don't affect the magnetic field in any way?

Thanks!

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone here ever put Strat pickups on a Bass VI (or a Jaguar)?

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:18 am

the pickup itself will fit inside a jag cover, although you may need to file one side to accomodate the larger bottom plate of a strat pup.
the claw is going to be a project to adapt.
you can just skip the claw altogether, i guess.

strat top, jag bottom
Last edited by Con-Tiki! on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Cool, thanks! What is it about the claws that will be 'a project' do you think?

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

Bottom of a strat pickup is kinda triangular, the claw is a rectangle.
You'd need to cut one side off.
Why not just use jag pickups?
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey, I thought this was a modding forum! :) Honestly, I'm just super particular about the sound of a Bass VI — and since I don't have enough money to blow on the pickups I actually want, I want to try and see if this will work. Plus it's like....it's a squier. I'm not worried about trying weird shit on it.

Also, I just went and checked about Jag covers — Allparts sells em without the claw, so I'd just need to Dremel em a bit! Too bad they sell them in multiples of two. :)

Here's what that Strat pickups sound like if you're wonderin':

https://youtu.be/bK11a_s72Zg

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Other than the shape, aren't Jaguar pickups just Strat pickups?

And the claw.

But then, you are referring to the shitty MIM Fender ceramic Strat pickups with steel poles. You can probably get someone to build those for you if you don't build pickups yourself.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:13 am

Other than the shape, aren't Jaguar pickups just Strat pickups?
OK so I'm new to all this, but isn't the claw magnetized? And wouldn't that make a huge difference in the magnetic field, changing the sound? I feel like even if it wasn't connected to the pickup wire it'd still change the magnetic field enough to make a difference, right?

And I mean... the two sets of pickups clearly sound different, don't they? I feel like the difference is much more pronounced with a Bass VI. Maybe it's just me though!
But then, you are referring to the shitty MIM Fender ceramic Strat pickups with steel poles.
Oh, it's worse than that — they're the shitty Korean ceramic ones with the two bar magnets! :)
You can probably get someone to build those for you if you don't build pickups yourself.
But... why would I? I already own a set...?

Look, I know this isn't super exciting or exotic or expensive, I'm just looking for help

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm

The claws aren't magnetized, but I'm given to understand that they do something to the magnetic field. As for the differences in how jag and strat pickups are wound, I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure that information is available somewhere.

Sometimes cheap ceramic pickups just work beautifully. No crime there!
This is an excellent rectangle

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:04 pm

The claws just aren't going to work with your strat pickups. Even if you modified the base bobbin to remove the triangular extension, the ceramic bar magnet would just be in the way. And if you could get the claw to work, it would change the sound of the pickups.

The good news is, you can directly mount your strat pickups to the body in place of the Jag pickups, no mods required. I think mbene085 did something similar, using EMG pickups.
Doug
@dpcannafax