How do I Remove Waterslide Signature?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
dm_cambridge_ma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

How do I Remove Waterslide Signature?

Post by dm_cambridge_ma » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 am

I have a Fender JM neck with an Elvis Costello signature on the back of the headstock. No disrespect to Mr Costello, but I find the signature thing a little tacky. Any thoughts on how best to remove it? My understanding is that it has a tinted nitro lacquer. I don't know if the signature is under a clear coat or tinted. If it is under tinted lacquer, it would seem that I couldn't sand it off without seriously altering the color of that section.

https://imgur.com/a/7tJQre5

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How do I Remove Waterslide Signature?

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 am

There have been a ton of "remove the signature" threads. You really have no choice but to sand through the finish until it's gone. Everyone is looking for a "what can I do that doesn't affect resale value?", which doesn't exist.
Those necks, with the signature, have value because of it. If it bugs you, ebay it and buy something else.
Probably, there's another US Fender JM neck with the same specs.
If you're attached to this one, do what you want.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 am
There have been a ton of "remove the signature" threads. You really have no choice but to sand through the finish until it's gone. Everyone is looking for a "what can I do that doesn't affect resale value?", which doesn't exist.
Those necks, with the signature, have value because of it. If it bugs you, ebay it and buy something else.
Probably, there's another US Fender JM neck with the same specs.
If you're attached to this one, do what you want.
Yep. All true.

Decide what's tackier - a signature that nobody ever sees but you, or a sanded and patched area of lacquer that was done just in the name of removing a signature that nobody sees but you.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Don't look at it.

Or... maple colored tape?