My old Mahogany Jaguar build and new hollowbody jazzmasterish project

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: My old build and new hollowbody jazzmasterish project

Post by ClintCC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 pm

I'm sacrificing the acoustics because I mainly play electric and I have a late 50s Old Kraftsman acoustic that satisfys my acoustic needs. Both of them weren't playable (and yea for $40 or $50 each I could have repaired both of them) but I figured they would be put to use in the best way to utilize them would be to use them for this project. The rosewood sides on the vintage Encore are actually pretty damn nice. Strangely I got both of them from exgirlfriends of mine's parents. So I guess it's partially symbolic in a way lol

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ClintCC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Bending the sides into another shape should be interesting I'm going to attempt to do it dry but if the rosewood won't cooperate I may have to get soak them in water to get them to conform to their new shape. My concern with that is the potential for warping so I'm going to try it dry first. And yeah the finish on the Jaguar turned out great I used satin black Polyshades by Minwax it's a polyurethane/stain. I lost track of how many coats I did but I used steelwool between coats. I had put at least 12 coats on it and got it nice and uniform and then I decided I missed how it looked with some of the mahogany showing through and I felt the satin was actually too shiny so I sanded it to a sort of reliced state and let the mahogany reveal itself a bit. Then I did a light coat of flat enamel to dull the sheen a bit and I strategically used still wool to make it thin and give it a nice worn look and I wanted it to wear naturally which ended up looking fantastic
Last edited by ClintCC on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 am

Well, a double f-hole thinline JM is really something you don't see a lot!
I expected you to make it look somehow like the thinline Jag - but no, that was unexpected! :)
I'm curious on the result too!

And, really nice Jag by the way!
What Lipstick Pickup did you put on it? And how happy are you with it? Thinking about doing the same - but in both positions. But I'm afraid SD are too small to fill the pickguard properly!

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ClintCC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 pm

That lipstick was a seymour duncan neck pickup and I loved it it was formerly a middle pickup in my first guitar. It sounded great but seeing as it was a neck pickup I had to have it up pretty high. It had a warmoth pickguard routed for a strat pickup and it fit just fine.

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ClintCC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:19 pm

The top is contoured on my jm build its going to be relatively thick (2 1/2) in the center of the contour because I want it to have more of a full sized hollow body sound but the sides are contoured roughly 5/16 on both sides to eliminate the need for a forearm contour

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 pm

That shape looks incredibly sick. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: My old Mahogany Jaguar build and new hollowbody jazzmasterish project

Post by ClintCC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks it's a cross between a jazzmaster and an old offset Framus bass I have

ClintCC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: My old Mahogany Jaguar build and new hollowbody jazzmasterish project

Post by ClintCC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:49 pm

The hollow body is currently on hold due to lack of funds. I've abandoned the idea of reusing the sides from the acoustics. I'm currently considering using sheet metal for the sides possibly unfinished thin brass to get some patina going. I'm in the midst of financial problems and I want to get a neck and bridge before I continue work on the body. I recently saw a new pickup Jerry Sentell is making it's
a minihimbucker/Jaguar pickup and I'm thinking with abig3 way on on on switch and independent volume pots it'd make a killer bridge pickup. . Hopefullymonths!