Paul McCartney and Willy Wonka had a baby! :)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Paul McCartney and Willy Wonka had a baby! :)

Post by pscates » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 am

Been watching Squeeze videos on YouTube and really like Chris Difford's black violin-shaped guitar (Danny Ferrington, I think?). Was thinking how cool/iconic that shape is, thanks to that guy from Liverpool, and started doodling some variations. They were all pretty much "the same", so then I thought "what about that type of design put through the Willy Wonka/Dr. Seuss machine? So I started skewing and exaggerating and came up with this:

Some variations "for fun", just to see what Krylon I may be buying...

Details/specifics, for those interested (if you're not puking already). :P

It's based on the 32" short scale necks Warmoth sells (because I don't want a 30" and 34" just seems oddly long). I've actually owned/played two 32" scale basses in my life and they were really awesome. The headstock looks the way it does only because I don't have the means/skills to build my own neck, so I took the Warmoth "Warhead" one and turned it upside down (maybe thinking it adds to the "quirk" factor?). I honestly not 100% thrilled with it. I mocked up their 2+2 short-scale peghead but it actually looked worse (even though, technically, that's what you'd expect/assume such a bass would have). In any case, that end of the instrument is open/fluid...I prefer 4-on-a-side. The one thing is has going for it is that the swoops and curved points mimic the body a bit. But it's almost too big and Teisco-looking (which might not be a horrible thing). I don't know...

So, neck aside...I've kinda fallen in love with the goofy body. BTW, it is an offset, so I'm not breaking any rules by sharing it here!

A couple of days ago, during some early drawings, I had a '51 P-Bass pickup cover in place, so that's why you see that in the "collection" mockups below. I removed it, but I'd like something similar to go there, both to hide the pedestrian single-coil and to provide a thumbrest so the pickup itself isn't used as one.

I've actually scaled this up in Illustrator to real-life size and I'll probably make a foamcore (Dollar Tree!) mockup this weekend, just to pose with in my mirror (and to see if I like it in "real life", full size, as much as I do on my iMac screen). We'll see...

Also, thinking of the goofy shape/look, it kinda lends itself to both classic/conservative paintjobs (like the Hofner-y one in the first drawing below, and some of the Fender-y type colors in the first "collection") and a bit funkier, louder schemes like the purple, orange and green. Been having fun coming up with colors (solids and bursts). The headstock seen on the "collection" pics had an older two-tone thing, but it's too Fano/Shelton and seems like I'm jumping on that wagon. Since the headstock itself is up in the air, so is its paint treatment, so...

A couple of tidbits/details about how I envision the final thing:

- It's a solid body...the unexpected/quirk factor; looking at it, one would think "oh, hollow body...", but I like solid, Fender-style basses.

- The F-holes will either be faux painted/decal OR, in keeping with the "nutty" vibe, routed all the way through the body, front to back, and basically be two holes. There's an old Ampeg(?) bass that did this (I used to see it on MTV back in the day, from the guy who played bass for Joan Jett on all her early 80's hits). I kinda like that idea because it would be another interesting feature..."hey, I can see his pants through this thing!"

- The white trim around the perimeter isn't binding (it's inset from the edge). It's simply a taped-off pinstripe detail. I still love the idea of a guitar being white/cream on the sides and back and then just a "cap" of color on the face, and then with this little inset pinstripe around the perimeter. Again, not a standard look and adds to the "what the hell is going on here?" aspect. Gonna play with that to a bit this weekend, with some scrap pine and spray paint I've got on hand...cut a somewhat curvy shape out of a 2x6, paint it white, mask off the sides and back and pinstripe and then paint a second color on the face and see how it looks, in real life. I've done this sort of thing on other, non-guitar projects, but I think it would be a neat look in this scenario. I've seen some guitars that have done this and it's a cool look. Even Danelectro, although it's with that textured tape (and the back is painted) has that sort of vibe, where the side is white and the color is on the face of the guitar. I've always liked that look, and this plays on that (except the entire back will be white/cream...nobody ever sees the back anyway, so why waste the time and paint? :D

I think that's about it. Just wanted to share. I believe I can make the body, once I get a bit more info on some neck pocket/bridge placement details. My spring/summer 2018 side project. If it turns out it's just way above my skill level, perhaps I'll turn to Mr. Deed Poll or something...
Last edited by pscates on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Paul McCartney and Willy Wonka had a baby! :)

Post by HNB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 am

Links ask me to sign in. They don't show a pic. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 am

Grrr... >:(

Okay, let me figure this out. Dropbox used to be the easy, sure-fire way to host an image to share in a message forum...I've done it for years. Please check back...I'll figure something out.

EDIT: Okay, I used another service. Thanks, UlricvonCatalyst, for the suggestions.
Last edited by pscates on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am

imgur is very popular. I use deviant art myself.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 am

Looks cool!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I would hope you'd incorporate the 'scroll' headstock — my favorite feature of Chris Difford's Ferrington.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm

So bad it’s good. Gold top would look great. I think the pickup cover shape doesn’t quite work, though - maybe too big?

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Not so bad. I really like the scroll headstock in the latter pic.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 pm

I like how the lower arm resembles a violin headstock.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 pm

I was expecting something very purple.

Very jigsaw-puzzly

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 pm
I like how the lower arm resembles a violin headstock.
I saw it as a Rickenbacker influence - like an amalgam of both of McCartney's signature basses.