Question on blower switch wiring for my friend's Jag

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question on blower switch wiring for my friend's Jag

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm

A friend asked for advice on wiring up his P90 Jag today. He's got plates on the way for 2 two way sliders on the upper and lower plates w/ a toggle on the lower which he plans to populate w/ a momentary kill switch. He wants individual on/off selectors, strangle caps, and volumes w/ blower switches for the pickups w/ the killswitch on the output. I worked on it tonight and this was what I came up w/:
The thing that I'm not too sure about is the blower switch. The way I'd usually wire one would require either a single volume (or a volume fed by a blend pot), separate DPDT switches for the pickups, or a 4PDT toggle. We came up w/ the work around approach in the diagram to hopefully make it work on the single slide switch but I'm wondering if the circuit will still be loaded by the volume pots from their output lugs even though their inputs lugs are being bypassed.

Whadya think?

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question on blower switch wiring for my friend's Jag

Post by hpr_hpr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am

You are right, think what happens when you switch ON the blower switch (bypass volumes) when the volume is almost at minimum, that means the wiper is 'real close' to the grounded lug . . . . signal goes from the switch to the kill switch and then hits a path both to output with appreciable resistance from the amp, and a path to GND with almost no resistance through both volumes . . . guess were most of the signal is going to end up.

EDIT: removed the reference to diodes being a possible solution . . . it won't work.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".