the parts-jag of glory, officially finished.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

the parts-jag of glory, officially finished.

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm too tired to type this all out in detail, but here's what happened...

It's going to be months before i get adjusted to having crooked fingers. In the meantime, I'm selling off guitars, and trying to finish a few projects.
I recently johnny marr'd my green tele, and started looking for something else.
Never having owned a Jaguar, I grabbed the unfinished body in the F/S section, and started looking for some inexpensive bits to build it up.
I was lucky to get some good hardware and a couple pickups here.

I couldn't find a cheap neck I liked, and ended up buying a super-nice, lefty KC neck.
when it got here, it's lovliness sent me looking for a finished body.

found an Am Pro body in 'sonic grey', cool as hell, but pricey.

picked a MIJ trem, a guard, and a pair of Fender '65 pickups from a laquer Jag.
These were $35 for the pair, shipped, on Reverb. I bought them because i needed a cover and claw.

I ordered a slotted control plate from my local shop (like the Marr and Am Pro guitars have stock) but it hasn't arrived yet.

Saturday, I find that the guy who sold me the $35 pickups has the rest of the Fiesta guitar on Reverb.
bought it, thinking i could re-solder the pickups and flip it. (i've since gotten attached to the color...)

here's a pic of the current stash:

the dust was just settling Monday, when i found alll the guts from a Marr Jaguar on Reverb.
those haven't arrived yet, but here's a pic:

now, I am broke, and not sure how to proceed.
I could flip the red guitar, and build up the gray one, put the Marr stuff in the red one and sell everything else, put the KC neck and the Marr guts into the red body and sell everything else, or build two Jaguars and stay broke.
I probably don't need two Jaguars,..
Last edited by Con-Tiki! on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: a fool and his $/ Jagoff gets a Jaguar

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe you don't need two but three Jaguars! ;)

I'd personally go for the Sonic-Grey (simply love that colour) body and build whatever you want out of it... not sure about the white Marr-pickguard (would prefer mint) but it also looks great with the black pickguard and the bound reverse neck! Maybe even make it a matching reverse headstock beauty?!

As for your crooked fingers - as an occupational therapist working in the orthopedic field - I'm of course interested in what's your specific problem - and how I may help (from the distance)...
The reverse headstock may be of help too, as it lowers the tension on the higher strings and may even enhance playability for you?!

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Three Jaguars ! :fp:
I got my left hand caught in a rope. Spiral fractures, surgery, pins, and some o/t followed. The crookedness looks like it will be permanent, but i'm hoping I can work around it. Thanks for the remote treatment option.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm

How many weeks are you already struggling with this?
In my experience the fasciae play a very if not the most important part obtaining your movement! So make sure you're doing your exercices! ;)

The number of red guitars I like is very short (TVL JM and a Les Paul in Winered, either Standard or Custom) - so I'd go with the Sonic Grey one... but that's very subjective - and also clearly based on my aesthetic preferences - but just take the one/that combination that plays/looks/feels best and sell the other parts.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 am

Weird how easy it is to go from wanting stuff and not having it to end up with multiples, and your brain getting all caught up in the unexpected new possibilities...
Re the choices, why not just experiment and try all the different combinations of parts and see what really speaks to you in terms of looks/ feel/ sound. Probably they all will and you'll be even deeper into indecision land. :ph34r:
Watching the corners turn corners

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:48 am

What's the spec on the lefty neck? If you were to get rid I might be into using it for a jag build :whistle:

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 am

sonic grey..sell the red

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 am

dinosaurkale-> wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 am
sonic grey..sell the red
yep, whatever happens, the grey body is part of it. I don't know anyone around here with a gray guitar. ;)
also, last night i realized the Marr parts will drop in the Am Pro, but the 4 way switch would require some routing to the red one.
it's a sign.
(Christopher, also)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

At least Snorre has another one of those sonic gray bodies. Also with a rw neck (no binding though) and a black pickguard on it. Good color combination! But yes, these are indeed quite rare here!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Unless the KC neck is unbelievable, a lefty neck on a righty body would be tough to resell if you needed to. Whereas an AmPro with Marr running gear would be snapped up. Love the sonic grey too.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: a fool and his $/ Jaguar projects

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 am

first one is together. basically back to it's stock setup, except with a new avri guard (which didn't fit the thimbles perfectly), and a mij tailpiece.

This is the first time i've ever set up a Jaguar, it kicked my ass. There are an amazing number of minor tweaks that can ruin everything...
It does sound cool, though. I'm still collecting bits for the gray one. I'm curious to see how diferent the Marr setup sounds.
I'm thinking i won't need two of these. It's a little more 'unique' than I expected. I really love the color. :-*

(Christopher, also)

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 am

Man, oh man, that sure looks lovely. Makes me want a Jag, it does.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 am

Amazing projects. Definitely keep the sonic grey one. I'd go with Marrguar electronics/grey body/bound neck. That'd be a killer build in terms of one to keep for yourself.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: parts jag keeper/ too many Jaguar projects

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm

this is the best of everything i have,
grey american body, Marr guts, the lacquer neck from the red guitar, and a crusty "PAT PEND" tailpiece for mojo.
I'm not totally sold on the tusq saddles. They sound fine, and there's nothing wrong with them, but they have gaps between them. It bugs me a little, and i can imagine them shifting around...
Otherwise, i love it. The Marr wiring is cool, all the options are useful.
(Christopher, also)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: parts jag keeper/ too many Jaguar projects

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Gorgeous!

I have some Tusq saddles, somewhere. Tried them and found they were too short, as you have. Wondered if it was a Japanese vs USA spec issue, or just shitty construction.

Took them off because strings spacing and intonation are something I like to have set in stone, not shifting around slightly when the bridge feels like it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.