Rickenbacker 480 mods

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rickenbacker 480 mods

Post by Don_Karnage » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:28 pm

I've always liked the look of the 4000-series basses so when I found out they used to make guitars with the same shape with the 480 and 481 it became one of those guitars I felt I just had to own some day... I don't know if it would technically be considered to be "offset-waist", maybe it's more like really bad scoliosis or something but in my mind it's an offset guitar.

Anyway, a while back this 480 from -73 showed up online. It was in pretty bad shape, frets were a nightmare, the bridge was very rusty and was missing a couple of screws, pickguard had cracked and the pickups were changed for old Gibson tarbacks. The price was really good though so I bought it. The seller plays in a band I'm a fan of too so that might have influenced my decision a bit too...

Then I had to decide if I wanted to try and restore the guitar or if I wanted to try and mod the guitar into something that would be more ideal for me. I opted for the latter.
First thing I did was to order a new bridge from Mastery. While I was waiting for the bridge I took the guitar to a luthier to get it refretted with medium jumbo stainless-steel frets. The bridge was taking very long to get here though (not Mastery's fault though, I exclusively blame swedish postal services! Mastery was very helpful and accomodating through this whole ordeal) so while waiting I asked the luthier to make a new pickguard and rewire the electronics too. I was planning to do this myself but the result was much better than anything I could have done.
The neck pickup didn't fit very well, physically, but I chose to keep the bridge pickup since it actually sounded really good. The luthier rewired it so that I have a volume control, tone and bass-cut in case I still want more jangly sounds. I might add something a bit more rickenbacker-like in the neck position in the future but right now I'm kinda digging the bridge-pu only look. Kinda reminds me of an old Epiphone Coronet or something with just one pickup and a lot of pickguard.

The bridge eventually came and was a huge improvement. I ordered a Duesenberg tremola as well and even though I was a bit lazy when I installed it so that it's a little bit slanted it works really great. I'd probably have this over a Bigsby any time and it's cheaper too.
There's still some stuff that needs to be done though. The nut slot for the high e-string is a bit close to the edge and like I said I'll probably add a neck pickup some time in the future but it turned out to be a really interesting and great guitar. It's very different from anything else I've got with the smaller neck-width and very flat fretboard radius but it's actually really comfortable.

Here's some pics. No before pics unfortunately, sorry about that!

Anyway, I also wanted to ask how you people feel about modding vintage guitar? Does it make a difference if it's something a bit more obscure and cheap compared to say something more iconic and expensive? Or are you completely free of scruples?
Honestly I don't think I would have done all these things if the guitar hadn't already been in such a bad shape.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rickenbacker 480 mods

Post by oid » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:05 pm

I like those guitars, great look, despite my desire to avoid more electrics, I would not be upset if one of those happened into my possession.

As for modding them, my Melody Maker thread suggests that people are fairly evenly split on the topic, even votes for new neck, repair and restore or make it into a bass.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 2&t=108102

I tend to not care much about modifications to most instruments, and like when people make a guitar their own.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm

man, i love that guitar.

while i might not rush to mod something that was clean and original, I have no issue with hotrodding a guitar someone has already messed with.
I've owned a ton of weird vintage, the best have been projects.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Don_Karnage » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 am

oid wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:05 pm
I like those guitars, great look, despite my desire to avoid more electrics, I would not be upset if one of those happened into my possession.

As for modding them, my Melody Maker thread suggests that people are fairly evenly split on the topic, even votes for new neck, repair and restore or make it into a bass.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 2&t=108102

I tend to not care much about modifications to most instruments, and like when people make a guitar their own.
Interesting idea to try and turn it into a bass... would certainly make for a very unique instrument! My only concern about that is that you'd have to make some changes to the body as well so it would be kinda hard to reverse if you change your mind.
Nice to see that people seem to be open minded about it though :)

Yeah, I find it very hard to leave a guitar alone. I just have to "make it my own" as you say.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 am

Don_Karnage wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 am
My only concern about that is that you'd have to make some changes to the body
Wrong thread! No changes to the body needed, see my thread for details.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 am

I think that's pretty spectacular, nice job!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 am

I LOVE these guitars and have wanted one for forever much like you. Looks great so far. No comments regarding further mods...looks as perfect as can be to me!!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:56 am

For some reason I completely missed the mods you did to it, must have been more sleep deprived then I realized, read the text, saw the pictures, did not make the connection!

Love the Dusenberg on there, looks great with the guitar, I would have to fill the holes and redrill to get it straight if it were my guitar, does not bother me if I am not the one who did it though. Most people would not have even noticed it being off without you telling them.

Sure wish those things were cheaper, and those Dusenbergs were sold in the US for that matter.

Great looking guitar and I do not think your mods detract from it in any way.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm

I own one too, they're cool guitars with a unique sound.

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Don_Karnage » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:29 am

Grey wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm
I own one too, they're cool guitars with a unique sound.

Looks great, love the burst! And I actually think that tailpiece looks better than the ”R” on this model.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am

Looks good!

Can I have a wild stab at the band selling it and guess for Truckfighters?
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Don_Karnage » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am
Looks good!

Can I have a wild stab at the band selling it and guess for Truckfighters?
Yup, really nice guy too! I really wonder how he managed to play that thing though... When I first got it in my hands it just slipped out of me ”I’m definitely gonna have to get those frets changed” and he was like ”really? Doesnt seem that bad to me”. Might have been sales-talk though... anyway, to me it was barely playable.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Yeah, I do have the original "R" for it as well.

I don't talk about this guitar very often here so i'll go ahead and post some more sweet deets about this unusual series.

If you know about the 480 then odds are you know about the 481, but what you may not know is that Rickenbacker also made normal non-slanted versions of the 481 as well. These are much rarer than the slant-fret 481 and were made with necks from the 4080 doubleneck.

Like the SF 481 these use Rickenbacker-designed humbuckers with a mini toggle phase switch that were not used on any other production-model Rickenbacker guitar.

There was also a 3-pickup version of the 480 known as the "483" which could only be ordered as a special option through a Rickenbacker dealer.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:30 am

Never saw the non-slant 481. That thing is unfairly GAS-inducing, in the sense that it's not fair for me to discover something so awesome that I'll likely never get to play ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.