Ideal Jazzmaster Body Weight?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ideal Jazzmaster Body Weight?

Post by wproffitt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 am

Hello All!
I know that there was a thread on this a while back but I wasn't able to find it with the search function.

I'm going to be ordering a Jazzmaster body soon and wanted to know if there's an ideal body weight that will:

a) keep the guitar from being a boat anchor
b) also ensure that the guitar is not neck heavy.

I love my current JM. While it is a bit heavier (pushing 9 lbs., I'd guess), it balances on a strap SO nicely and I'd hate to sacrifice that.
Under 4 lbs for a body sounds great, but I'd hate for my new guitar project to be unbalanced. Thoughts?

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ideal Jazzmaster Body Weight?

Post by wproffitt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 am

Thoughts? I'd really appreciate some perspectives on this. Surely some of our talented builders have some ideas on ideal vs acceptable vs way too heavy. I don't want to overthink this, but I'm looking to make this my "forever" Jazzmaster.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 am

OK, I'll bite . . . . although I'm not sure I'm helpful as I rarely play standing up so weight is less of an issue. Currently my favorite is apart for a rewire so I can't easily measure it but it has a mahogany body and it's HEAVY compared to a Vintage Modified Squire JM . . . and it probably doesn't help that it has SD pRails which are probably heavier than standard JM PUs.

As to the lightest weight achievable, given that the balance point has to HAS to be behind the neck strap button (otherwise neck dive becomes inevitable) that means, given that the body is about 1/3 the length the absolute minimum weight for a body is probably around 1.5 - 1.75 X weight of the neck depending on it's geometry. That said, I don't think that light a guitar might be comfortable as the balance point would still be quite a ways forward . . . Given that - balance wise - I found around 4-4.5 lb bodies on a tele the lightest I would like I think this would be the lower bound for a JM as well. However, given the larger size of the body on a JM I doubt you can achieve that low a weight other than in a hollow body and even then with all the hardware it might be a challenge.

And of course . . . the final answer is always up to the player, there are any number of players who like a solid mahogany Les Paul . . . . and I've heard/read any number of comments coming down to 'it's a back breaker but I wouldn't part with it for anything' ... and that includes mine.
wproffitt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 am

a) keep the guitar from being a boat anchor
b) also ensure that the guitar is not neck heavy.
As to your specific questions . . .

a. well don't use ironwood :) ... mahogany might also not be your first choice . . . . a chambered swamp ash body might be your best bet . . . roasted if you want to save a couple more oz.

b. VERY unlikely in a JM, given the shape & size unless you are thinking of a fully hollow body not just chambered and even then I really doubt it.

In the end it depends on what you are after and what you think will get you there . . . are you painting the body then the appearance of the wood is less of a concern . . . if you just have to have a rosewood guitar because you LOVE oil on rosewood you'll have to live with the weight.
Last edited by hpr_hpr on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am

oops
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks for that!
For example, what if there were a 3 lb 8 oz Ash body for sale in the get it now section of Guitar Mill's website? This almost seems TOO light to me, but if we don't think neck dive is a worry here, perhaps should just go for something like this and stop worrying about it. I don't mind the size of the Jazzmaster and of all of the guitars I've ever played, it feels the most "right" seated or standing. If I could have one that was light, too, that would be something.
If anyone else in the crowd has a story about a JM that was too light or didn't balance quite right, I'd love to hear it!

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Just weighed the body of the beast .... around 6lb .... pickup and electronics & guard add ... oh another 3/4 probably.

I doubt that just under 4 lb will be light enough for neck dive unless you use lead tuners ... remember you'll probably add at least a 3/4 lb with the pickups and hardware I would think and a neck is ... 2 - 2 1/2 lb with tuners ....

One of my own designs just about 6 lb complete ... the body is also somewhat shorter on the neck side, total length is just about the same as a JM, the balance point is just about the neck PU ...