Squier Super-Sonic pickup upgrade Suggestions?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
michelle3508
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier Super-Sonic pickup upgrade Suggestions?

Post by michelle3508 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Everyone-

I bought a 90's Squier Super-Sonic in Black recently, but the original pickups definitely need upgrade.
Which pickup do you suggest? Here's what I'm looking for...

- Need both Neck & Bridge
- Full size humbucker if possible (I'm trying to re-use the original pickguard, but I'm still open for ideas)
- My favorite sound is mainly 90's / Alternative / maybe bit of late 60's like Hendrix.
- I'm a beginner/intermediate player, and I want this to be my main guitar. I started with a Strat but never really had fun / body shape fits me uncomfortable. So I'm looking for more of versatile option than a 1 trick pony.

Thanks in advance!!!

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Super-Sonic pickup upgrade Suggestions?

Post by hpr_hpr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Hmm . . . .

Well as versatile goes, maybe take a look at SD PRails . . . the claim is that they'll do hum bucker, P90 & single coil tone. I have a pair in a hard tail JM and while I can't vouch for the 'exactness' of any of the tones I can say that there is quite a tonal palette in them. To use them you'll need to make some minor modifications to the pick guard to fit them and some push/pull pots to switch them . . . . To get the most out of them would require 4 miniswitches or a pair of SD triple shot hum bucker rings . . . . . or a rotary pickup selector . . . . .

For traditional hum buckers, SD Jazz neck & JB bridge, or a 59 neck with a pearly gates bridge (or maybe a distortion if your tastes run that way).

Have a look here https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickups/g ... db59615f2c descriptions are always subjective but they also have a good selection of sound samples to give you a better idea of what they are capable of . . . .

I'm sure dimazio has something similar . . .

Alternatively you could talk to a boutique maker, describe your requirements and see what he comes up with, but expect to pay more. I've been eyeing some of Sentell's pickups http://www.sentellpickups.net/humbuckers.html, he has some ... unusual stuff. While I don't know what he would charge for a truly custom job the ones on his website are reasonably priced.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Super-Sonic pickup upgrade Suggestions?

Post by Iheartreverb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 am

100% check out The Creamery
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/
They offer loads of options in every style of enclosure and because everything is custom built then all you’d have to do it describe to Jamie what you have there and he will know what to do.
I had a bass pickup that wasn’t giving me what I needed tonally and was also just not playing well with the tuning I was in at the time, I explained all this and the result was something that did exactly as needed.
I’d give him a shout before any other aftermkarket stuff based on that experience and will be doing again soon for my Jazzmaster