Would Love Your Input On My Dream Jag Mod

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Would Love Your Input On My Dream Jag Mod

Post by DWTish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Hello Everyone! I've been playing guitar my whole life (32 years), but for whatever reason had never been motivated to modify one until now.... Last year I saw a 2017 Antique Olive American Professional Jaguar and became obsessed with the idea of turning it into my dream guitar. The dream is becoming reality, in that this month I got the Olive Jag as my project's starting point, I've done lots of research and have come up with a plan.... Having never done this before though, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger, and was hoping I could bounce these ideas off you all and see what you think. Thanks in advance for all the help.... I will post pictures of each part and where I got them, along with each step the process, with my perspective on the results in case anyone else has similar ideas. I will be having this assembled by my trusted luthier, so my questions will mostly be about compatibility and general brainstorming :-)

Ok, so I guess first I should mention that early on I decided that this will actually be two Jaguar mods happening simultaneously

Our starting guitars (both stock) :

-2017 Antique Olive American Professional Jaguar with a Maple fretboard (which I already have)

-Three Tone Sunburst CIJ '66 Reissue with Blocked and Bound Rosewood Fretboard (which I have yet to buy)

My desired outcome :

-Jag One:
Antique Olive American Professional Body
Black Pickguard
'66 Reissue Blocked and Bound Rosewood Fretboard
Polished Chrome Mastery Bridge, Trem & Stringtree
Lollar Charlie Christian (Pearl Faced) Tele Neck Pickup
Benedetto B-6 Humbucker Bridge Pickup
Antique Walrus Ivory Nut
Thomastik-Infeld GB .014 Flatwound Strings

-Jag Two:
Three Tone Sunburst CIJ '66 Reissue Body
White Pickguard
2017 American Professional Maple Neck / Fretboard
Mastery Bridge
Polished Chrome Increased Break Angle Hardtail Conversion Plate from Faction
Lollar Jaguar Pickups
DR Pure Blues .011 Strings

Questions I have.....
1. Can I (my luthier) switch necks like that? Is it that easy, or are there compatibility issues between American and Japanese Jags?
2. For Jag One, any thoughts on the pickup selection, and how they could potentially blend? I love both, but know nothing about what goes on under the pickguard and don't know if it's even possible, much less if it will sound good.... I know I'll have to have the body routed, and am fine with that..... Also, for a pick up change that drastic, is it customary for me to have a pickguard specially pre made for my configuration to bring in to my luthier, or can experienced luthiers just cut from the original? Has anyone ever heard of a Benedetto pickup in a Jag? Is this crazy?
3. I don't know which set of electronics I want in which guitar.... The Am Pro came with the new "simplified Johnny Marr influenced" controls, where the CIJ comes with the classic setup? Any thoughts on which would be better for which guitar? Guitar One is supposed to be a solid body jazz box, which I'd like to be able to get the wider variety of tone out of, between the two. Guitar Two is going to be more of a bluesy string bender.... Also, are there any worthwhile upgrades, electronics wise that I should consider? I've seen on the Mastery site that they sell pots.... Are these some how better or more precise?
4. Are .014 flatwound strings going to work with a Mastery Trem? Anyone have experience? In theory it sounds like a lot of fun, but I see the potential for disaster (I do use the trem very sparingly, if that makes any difference)
5. I'd also just love to hear your thoughts / ideas! I'm pretty stubborn, but want to at least consider any suggestion any of you have! Lol

Thanks so much for even taking the time to read this! I look forward to keeping you updated.... I'll post my first round of pics ASAP

- Darren in New Orleans

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Would Love Your Input On My Dream Jag Mod

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm

1. Should be no problem as long as they are both 24" scale necks, neck pockets are standard.

2. I've not heard either one so I can't comment on that basis. The Lollar seems to be a high output single coil whilst the Benedetto is a moderate output HB . . . I really don't know how they would play together but the Benedetto is almost certainly meant to be a neck pickup and thus may be voiced quite 'bright' for the bridge position . . . if that's what you are after it may work, if you want a more jazzy/darker tone I'd think I would go with something else . . . YMMV

3. It depends on what you want to accomplish, do you want to keep the wiring close to stock or are you willing to totally repurpose the switches, with the classic switches you can get almost anything done . . . If you are going with stock wiring re: the JM controls, not sure what a treble boost or highpass filter would be needed for in a Jazz guitar so I would probably put that control set on #2 then.

4. Why wouldn't they, as long as the ball ends are retained by the term you should be OK
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

hpr_hpr wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm
1. Should be no problem as long as they are both 24" scale necks, neck pockets are standard.
Many Fender Japan instruments have a slightly wider heel/neck pocket, which could mean a gap with the OP's proposed parts pairing.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:09 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Many Fender Japan instruments have a slightly wider heel/neck pocket, which could mean a gap with the OP's proposed parts pairing.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was unaware of that.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".