Costello style jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Spir4L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Costello style jazzmaster

Post by Spir4L » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi guys,
I would like to start a project in order to build a (fender) costello jazzmaster style guitar.
I would like the body to be medium reliced, something like this telecaster in this picture:

Do you have any suggestion on where to buy it? Does mjt or warmoth do reliced walnut bodies? I am actually located in the UK.

Also what do you suggest for the maple neck with rosewood fingerboard? allparts or warmoth or usacg?

I would like to put a golden anodized pickguard (maybe a bit reliced too). Any suggestion on where to get it?

For the pickups and bridge I think I will go for novak (with white covers) and staytrem.

Thanks very much

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Costello style jazzmaster

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 pm

USACG doesn't ship rosewood internationally anymore . . . they had trouble despite having all the permits. Also if you would want the neck finished they discontinued their finishing services.

Warmoth does have a walnut body option BUT I seem to remember that their routing is non Fender standard and thus only fits their own pick guards (not the fender standard ones) . . . no idea if they do relicing though . . . someone else on this board probably knows for sure . . .

A word on rosewood international shipping . . . since it got listed in the CITES appendix as an endangered species extra permits are required for shipping and at least to some countries even shipping WITH those permits can be problematic YMMV as I don't know the exact situation with UK customs. At a minimum expect a longer holdup . . . worst case scenario, it may get confiscated . . . If you can buy an all parts neck in the UK that's easiest, at the very least talk to your source if they have done this before and with what results.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Spir4L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spir4L » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

hpr_hpr wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 pm
USACG doesn't ship rosewood internationally anymore . . . they had trouble despite having all the permits. Also if you would want the neck finished they discontinued their finishing services.

Warmoth does have a walnut body option BUT I seem to remember that their routing is non Fender standard and thus only fits their own pick guards (not the fender standard ones) . . . no idea if they do relicing though . . . someone else on this board probably knows for sure . . .

A word on rosewood international shipping . . . since it got listed in the CITES appendix as an endangered species extra permits are required for shipping and at least to some countries even shipping WITH those permits can be problematic YMMV as I don't know the exact situation with UK customs. At a minimum expect a longer holdup . . . worst case scenario, it may get confiscated . . . If you can buy an all parts neck in the UK that's easiest, at the very least talk to your source if they have done this before and with what results.
Oh yes I had not thought about the rosewood issue... thanks for pinpointing that!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 pm

I could do one for you out of roasted ash or poplar... Here's the roasted ash, with a splash of isopropyl alcohol on it to show how it would look with a finish. Looks very much like a rich walnut / rosewood colour.

I'm based in the UK. I'd recommend a pay ferro fretboard from USACG, they've sorted me out darker Pau ferro before and it's a good visual substitute for rosewood, albeit usually with a straighter and more closed grain

:)
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Also I don't know whether you might be interested in my Customaster design... I've been wanting to make one out of the heat treated ash for ages to look like that old walnut stain Tele Deluxe in the picture you posted!

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 pm

MJT did a really good job with my walnut Jazzmaster body.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Since you're in the UK, I'd say let deed poll sort you out. He's good people.
This is an excellent rectangle

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am

This guy's experience with relic-ed JM built with Musikraft neck and MJT body exported from US (plus Novaks and Mastery) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WJnM8I7Ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2gPjaP0g30
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 am

Oh yeah and I got my rosewood/roasted maple neck from Musikraft. I highly recommend them. My friend purchased a rosewood neck shortly after the new CITES laws came in and he just had to pay an extra $20 or so to have the proper paperwork to have it sent here to Australia.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I second that. I had the pleasure of working with Deedpoll on a project & he was a delight to work with. The communication was excellent & the quality was impeccable. You can do no better.
We are merely moving shadows.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 pm

rank wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I second that. I had the pleasure of working with Deedpoll on a project & he was a delight to work with. The communication was excellent & the quality was impeccable. You can do no better.
Ah shucks! :P thanks guys!

Spir4L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spir4L » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 am

Hey guys anyone knows where is it possible to find a pickguarrd in this style:

is it a silver anodized aluminium going to look like this?

Thanks

Spir4L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spir4L » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:29 am

Spir4L wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 am
Hey guys anyone knows where is it possible to find a pickguarrd in this style:

is it a silver anodized aluminium going to look like this?

Thanks
For example this one:
http://www.guitarpartsworldwide.com/FEN ... lZIWnZKSGM