My first Mustang - a new project (advice needed, regular progress pics)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AliGlenUig
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: My first Mustang - a new project

Post by AliGlenUig » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:57 pm

solfege wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:00 pm
Pretty sure a boutique maker could send you dimensions to measure very easily.
You make a good point. I guess I sort of assumed the dimensions would be fairly standard across the board and the problem would be elsewhere. I'll get in touch with the guy I've used before and see what he says.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My first Mustang - a new project (advice needed, regular progress pics)

Post by Horsefeather » Tue May 01, 2018 11:36 am

That tall sitting bridge is an issue familiar to me. I adapted Kahler rollers to my bridge and even their extra bit of height over Mustang saddles puts the strings higher than I like.

I've been contemplating having a new redesigned vibrato plate cut from stainless that either incorporates a saddle anchor in it or has a hole that allows the bridge to sit down inside it.

And then I would route the guitar body down the thickness of the whole plate so that it sits totally flush. That way the saddles would be sitting right at guitar body level as their start point.

A lot of work but I like low strings at the picking end.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My first Mustang - a new project (advice needed, regular progress pics)

Post by sirspens » Tue May 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I had a Jay Turser Mustang clone (wasn't half bad, especially considering the price) for a while. It had that same bridge. The neck was shimmed to give it enough angle (and quite a bit of angle at that) to work with the bridge. And I liked the bridge.