First mod, super n00b...few questions.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ttttravis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

First mod, super n00b...few questions.

Post by ttttravis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Let me start by saying that I've never modded a guitar before. I've always played stock.
Been playing the same Fender blacktop JM HS for 7 years now and I want to beef her up a touch.
I primarily play a fast & mean style of punk rock with a lot of leads.
Was thinking of replacing the bridge pickup with something that has more bite and sustain. I was thinking the Seymour Duncan Invader for the bridge and just muting the neck to give me a kill switch.
This could end up being a terrible idea... As I said... I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this.
I just love the feel of my JM as well as the weight of the body.

All and any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First mod, super n00b...few questions.

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Hey Travis,

Wow I wrote a big rant! TL;DR version is - go with a StayTrem and work from there.

I dont think a hotter pickup will get you what you want.

From the play style you describe, I would suggest upgrading the bridge to a StayTrem, which has much deeper string grooves, like a Mustang bridge. You can also specify a non-rocking post design, which I would recommend for your application.

Looks like your guitar has a 9-1/2" fretboard radius - just a reminder that if you change the bridge, you'll need to match this otherwise your strings will sit at different heights relative to each other.

If you use the vibrato, a BuzzStop will create more angle over the bridge saddles for you. If you don't, there's a gentleman around these parts by the name of Kevin, from Faction Guitars who makes a replacement plate that converts your guitar to a hardtail - I would recommend this if you're after more sustain. But only after replacing the bridge.

All of these options are completely reversible should you wish to go back to stock, either to sell the instrument, or because you like it better that way.

If you want a replacement pickup (and you should be sure that's what you want!) I would be looking at a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary. I personally find they have a nice midrange bump for that sort of thing, I don't know if that's the "bite" you might be looking for! But people will tell you all sorts of nonsense about pickups.

The whole "high output" thing is mostly a myth in my opinion. I've never found a high output pickup that's better for anything, even the highest gain playing, than a standard output PAF. Getting that heavy sound is all about right hand technique, and you need a rock solid bridge to really build a predictable rig that will inspire confidence, so you will know exactly how hard you have to hit the thing to achieve the dynamics you want.

I would say if there's a shortcoming in the pickup you already have, it's that it's too hot. But the pickup is in my opinion not the problem, or the solution!

And don't get rid of the neck pickup... Installing a kill switch is easy!

Hope that helps.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

darthsean19
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by darthsean19 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am

Travis,

Please let me know if you end up popping an Invader in! I'm currently waiting for my own Invader Under Jazzmaster to come in from the Seymour Duncan custom shop, to put in the bridge position of my TVL JM. I've got a Delonge Strat and LOVE it, so I figured why not share the wealth with something as versatile as a JM?

Probably looking to coil tap it with a push-pull somewhere, as well.

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Don_Karnage » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 am

I agree with what Deed_Poll said, both about ways to get more sustain and about high output pickups.
The reason people started making really hot pickups was to push the amps they had back then harder. Nowadays there are plenty of amps with more gain on tap than you would probably ever need. Then again maybe you’ve got a low gain amp so it depends of course.

Regarding the wiring, if you don’t need the neck pickup it’s fairly easy even for a beginner to do a LP jr. Style wiring, even easier would be to just omit the tone control if you don’t use it. This would give you a bit more high-end bite without even changing the pickup. You could even omit the volume control too and just wire the pickup to an on-off switch and then to the output jack. That way you’ll have your killswitch too.