NPGD: 1st Jm

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPGD: 1st Jm

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am

Finally finished my partsmaster! I haven't even plugged it in yet but I think I already might like it more than my avri jaguar. The jag has been my only electric guitar for a while, and it may just be the honeymoon period but I think I like going back to full scale. It's like it have room to stretch out, and I never feel like my fingers are squeezing into position. Also, this jm has a satin neck that is incredibly smooth, which I like way better than my avri's glossy neck. Harder than adjusting from short scale is the radius. I think this one is 9.5 and it's noticeably flatter than the avri. I just see it as different and something I'll get used to, but at this point I think I would prefer vintage radius. I still prefer this neck because of the satin feel. Hard to believe I could prefer a $100 eBay neck, but there it is. The all parts kluson tuners feel solid and precise, probably better than the real klusons on the avri. The mastery trem is also much nicer than the avri. I don't know if it was worth the money, but I never used the lock and this one requires less force in the initial push, so it glides easier and it allows for more subtle use. I haven't tried any bridge besides mastery, since that's what came with my jag, so I can't say much about it besides I like it.

I'm going to plug it in soon, but my daughter has a friend over and I don't want to embarrass my daughter with my guitar playing. I got a rothstein prewired guard with STB mod and Novak jm-v neck/ jm-90 bridge. I've never tried either of those types of pickups, nor tried pickups in series, so I'm excited! More thoughts later...

Edit: damn, I successfully posted a pic for the first time the other day and now I can't do it... here's the link:
https://imgur.com/gallery/eH0av

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NPGD: 1st Jm

Post by kdanie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 am

Look great!!

Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks, and thank you for posting picture. Maybe it doesn't work for me on mobile? I'll try again soon.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:27 pm

I plugged it in, and it rips. I don't have a strong opinion on jaguar vs jazzmaster neck pickups (yet). I do find the jm-90 bridge much more useful than the jag bridge. It's not as thin and trebly, and it's higher output. Very different. I still like my jag's sound a lot, but I think the jm is ruling in terms of weight and playability. Apparently the jm has uneven frets, and the luthier said he'd need $200 to level them so that he could get me low action with no buzz. I told him I'd give it a go first, and it's got lower action and less buzz than my jaguar. I honestly don't need the action any lower than it is, and the buzz is so minimal that indojt notice when amplified and only notice it unplugged when Im thinking about it and looking for it. I'm probably going to put the jaguar on consignment soon, because I don't think I need both. Maybe one day I'll get a fancy USACG neck but for now it's great!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Very cool colour! Iris Mist?

$200 seems steep for a fret level. Though I guess these things vary... Might not be worth pouring that kind of money into a cheap neck, but if you play it a while and really get along with it and it doesn't present any stability issues, it's definitely worth having the work done.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Iris mist, indeed! Yea I might do something about it eventually, but I've waited so long to put it together that I'm just ready to play it for a while.

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 am

I LOVE THIS GUITAR!