Johnny Marr Kurt Cobain hybrid project

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Johnny Marr Kurt Cobain hybrid project

Post by mikeytee1000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi all, this is my first post on this great forum.

I’m embarking on a custom build project and would be interested to hear some opinions.

I’ve always been fascinated by Jaguars and first bought a Blacktop HH in 2012. I modded that all ways but it never hit the sweet spot so I sold it on. Several months ago I was lucky enough to buy a Kurt Cobain Jag on eBay that was just a few months old for just 50% the new price. It’s a tremondous guitar and the build quality has blown me away. However I have several humbucker guitars that create a similar sound and I’ve always craved a proper Jaguar, in particular the Johnny Marr model, but I can’t justify buying one for £2000 in the U.K. Then I’m not crazy about vintage radius fretboards (Cobain model is 9.5” and what a beauty of a neck it is, odd headstock apart)

I’m therefore building a hybrid. On a whim I bought an Olympic white Marr body on Stratosphere, because I crave a nitro Jaguar. I’m going bolt my Cobain neck to that and I’ve bought a Staytrem Bridge. Bare knuckles are winding a couple of custom spec jag single coils and I’m going to take the electronics, control plates, knobs etc out of my Cobain. Then I’m adding the strangle switch back in as there is space next to the 3 way toggle.

I’m going to sell the Cobain body, pickups and bridge. Then I’ll have a Johnny Marr Jaguar with hybrid Cobain controls and a 9.5” bound neck with pearl dots. It will have cost me £1200 which is just over half the price of a Johnny Marr, but it will be the precise Jaguar I want.

An extravagant and eccentric build but what do you guys think? Photos to follow soon!

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Kurt Cobain hybrid project

Post by julius2790 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I love that idea! I've yet to play either guitar but everything I've read about each of them makes them seem like amazing instruments. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

I'm wondering what you specified for the Bare knuckles that will be different from the Marrguar?

paulnb57
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnb57 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Sounds like a great way to get the guitar you desire, please share the process.....
Last edited by paulnb57 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:03 pm

julius2790 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 pm
I love that idea! I've yet to play either guitar but everything I've read about each of them makes them seem like amazing instruments. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

I'm wondering what you specified for the Bare knuckles that will be different from the Marrguar?
As I suspected Bare Knuckles won’t supply aftermarket Johnny Marr Jaguar pickups but they’ll wind me a custom set based on 1962 spec but hotter in the bridge. They’ll be close to a Johnny Marr pickup but not excatly the same. Winner!

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm

That should be a very nice guitar!

You might want to re-wire the whole thing while you're at it. I have a KC Jaguar, and I love it dearly, but the factory wiring was a mess.

What colour pickguard will you go for? I'm a big fan of mint on Olympic White.

Cheers,
J

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

This sounds awesome!!! Pics when it's done please :D

The Marrguar is a gorgeous guitar. I haven't played a KC Jag...yet. Would love to.

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:06 am

JVG wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm
That should be a very nice guitar!

You might want to re-wire the whole thing while you're at it. I have a KC Jaguar, and I love it dearly, but the factory wiring was a mess.

What colour pickguard will you go for? I'm a big fan of mint on Olympic White.

Cheers,
J
I think my wiring is good I’ve had a close look at it before and was impressed with the quality of components and workmanship.

I’ve ordered a tortoiseshell pickguard to look like the 62 model, but now you’ve mentioned mint green i’m kicking myself. :D I can easily change in the future, pickguards are cheap enough.