Tiesco Bass Rebuild (completed)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tiesco Bass Rebuild

Post by threewordname » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Over the weekend I took everything apart and cut the 45˚ chamfer on the front, and then used a rasp to cut the forearm contour. I'm starting to think this is just a heavy piece of pine, because it only took me about 30 min to get a decent sized contour cut. I spent most of Sunday night sanding to get it ready for paint. I'm trying to be patient and not rush this part. I know I will kick myself if I leave a sand through or a run somewhere on this guy. Without further boring words, here are the photos.
and with 2 coats of duplicolor olympic white

I don't think i went too heavy, but after two passes, the can is almost empty. how many cans of this stuff do people usually use?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Dag! How'd I miss this tasty thread for so long?? Rad! :w00t:
This is an excellent rectangle

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:46 am

Not sure how you missed it! I've been posting incremental progress for the past few months! I totally forgot to post my color inspiration for this build:

I could watch live videos of The Ramones all day every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WgdD3F73CY

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tiesco Bass Rebuild (completed)

Post by threewordname » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:11 am

After 2 cans of olympic white, I brushed on 4 coats of minwax polyurethane. This warmed up the white just the right amount, where its not so stark, but it doesn't look like a banana. Waiting for it to dry between coats was fucking torture.

After the final coat, I let it dry for 2 days, and then it was AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! The completed photos are below:

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 am

Looking damn good! I love the chamfered edges, I was wondering if they'd stick around rather than being sanded smooth.

You mentioned at the top that loved the sound of the original bass but hated the feel. How does the new one sound and feel in comparison?

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Very cool.
I used the exact same finish combo, Duplicolor and poly.
Those two things don't bond, when mine began to wear, the poly flaked off like a sunburn, leaving the pristine white.
Just something for next time.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 am

Luckily the poly seems to be sticking so far. If it starts to flake, I can always sand down and respray.

Thank you for the kind words. It plays more like a modern P Bass now. What was bugging me before was the narrow string spacing, possible bad truss rod, and the tiny tiny frets. I had gotten the action to a playable range, which is a feat on most tiescos, but the tiny frets made it exhausting to play.

The new neck is a modern C shape, which I like alot more than the skinny D shape (don't Google that) on the original.

The sound is still about the same, maybe a little bigger from the extra mass in the body, but that might be placebo effect. I love the middle pickup by itself, or both in series.

I recorded a Screeching Weasel song yesterday, using this guy for the bass line. It's nothing fancy, but I'll post it once I have it mixed.

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 am

I recorded a demo for a new song with this bass. The guitar parts are all with my pine tele, which has a build thread on here somewhere. The song is about my old neighborhood in Allston, it's neither a blues song or a boogie song.

https://threewordname.bandcamp.com/trac ... bug-boogie

I can upload an isolated bass track if anyone is really interested in my limited bass skills. If you want comparison, all the other songs that are uploaded on that page are recorded with the original body/neck.