Wiring mod for my J. Mascis

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring mod for my J. Mascis

Post by hpr_hpr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Aluminum is conductive = it shields just as well by itself as it does with a layer of copper tape (thus even if Fender used it it didn't have any extra effect) . . . you MAY have to make a connection to ground via one of the pot casings though, you can't solder aluminum (easily) and I'm not sure if the ground on the jack automatically makes contact with the guard . . . check . . . or just put in the one extra wire to make sure . . . .

The anodized layer itself is actually NON-conductive . . . but all switches and pots mount through the guard so they almost certainly make sufficient contact with the inner unanodized aluminum to have an electrical connection so if you ground one . . . they all will be grounded via the guard I would suspect. The one thing I would probably NOT do is rely on extending the copper grounding to the cavities around a screw hole and then the pressure of the screw gets you the electrical connection to the shielding on the guard and grounds the cavity shielding . . . if the inner face of the guard is anodized this may very well not work reliably.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring mod for my J. Mascis

Post by MotorBongo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am

hpr_hpr wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:16 pm
Aluminum is conductive = it shields just as well by itself as it does with a layer of copper tape (thus even if Fender used it it didn't have any extra effect) . . .

The anodized layer itself is actually NON-conductive . . .

. . . if the inner face of the guard is anodized this may very well not work reliably.
Thanks for sharing this info, like you indicate it's easy too goof here w.r.t. assumed connections.

For that reason I simply might go for one of those copper sheets (in JM pickguard shape) for easier/confirmed connection to the various pots & the jack etc.

I actually don't recall if the 'true old originals' used aluminium or copper pickguard shields, but must also admit I'm kind of lost (by probably reading up too much) on all this, as in: which one would be the most effective.
One could say, in a Rube Goldberg-fashion, that it wouldn't hurt to shield an anodized alu pickguard with a copper shield, for likely some definitive overkill and be done with it, as far as this part of the shielding goes....

Since next to these two layer lines of defence... are those two big open coils welcoming any nasties that float around... (shielding will only go so far, the wide pickups will be the bottleneck of all this hum-prevention I assume - unless the middle position is employed)

Regards

rigini (and appreciating your signature
www.motorbongo.nl