Let's build a Fender Must-o-Sonic ! (finished: page 2) (update pic reupload)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's build a Fender Must-o-Sonic ! (finished: page 2) (update pic reupload)

Post by countertext » Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 am

Hmm, it looks even better now...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's build a Fender Must-o-Sonic ! (finished: page 2) (update pic reupload)

Post by Embenny » Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 am

Interesting, it looks like the clear coat really yellowed. Fortunately it still looks great! I think i actually like it even better this way.

How are you liking that magnatron neck pickup after living with it for a while, by the way? I've been curious about them, but the few sound samples I've ever found have been a bit unflattering. How do you find it in this guitar? How does it compare to a single coil neck pickup? Any issues balancing with the bridge?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ericono
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ericono » Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Looks great! Also interested in how you like the pups.

Thanks,

Eric

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 am
How are you liking that magnatron neck pickup after living with it for a while, by the way? I've been curious about them, but the few sound samples I've ever found have been a bit unflattering. How do you find it in this guitar? How does it compare to a single coil neck pickup? Any issues balancing with the bridge?
ericono wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm
Looks great! Also interested in how you like the pups.
I really love the Magna'tron! When I was looking for pickups for this guitar, a TVHT (HiLo'tron) was my first choice. But I had read somewhere they worked much better in hollow bodies... While talking to a TV Jones representative, he suggested the Magna: still very twangy, but a bit beefier, and he was right. I'd describe it as a Texas Tele neck pickup, with no hum and a bit more natural compression.

My goal for the bridge pickup was always to be a bit unbalanced, and originaly wanted to pair the TVHT with a TV Classic, so I just upped my choice. It was either a Classic+, a Power'tron or a Super'tron, and the latter seemed to be a mix of all. And I liked the look. :P Sound-wise, it sounds to me like the Classic+, overwound in a good way, and still very clear.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon May 25, 2020 11:41 pm

Nice. Thanks for your perspective. That's a description of the magna that gets me interested, as I really prefer the attack of magnetic-poled pickups, especially in the neck.

I recently got a Billy-Bo with Powertron and Powertron Plus pickups in it and I'm hoping to tame it with a Wilde Q-filter, it's a little too middy and overwound for my taste. I've also got my Bo Diddley with the Classic/Classic Plus combo, so if the Q-filter experiment doesn't pan out, I might put a Magnatron in the neck and figure out something different for the bridge...that Billy-Bo is the best electric guitar I've ever played and I really want to coax it into a clearer direction sonically so it could become my main axe.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:19 am

Just arrived.. :?

Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 am

Done! :-*

Still can't believe how it yellowed since I got that body... :D I tried to take a picture of under the guard, where it still shows the silverish finish, but it doesn't show well.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:57 am

Still one fine-lookin'guitar! I like that the body said "screw it, I'm coordinating with the pickguard" and just completely changed colour.

I think I had one Gretsch when you started this thread and am now up to 4, so I like this guitar more and more every time I see it :D