Firebird Tremolo: What's a good aftermarket Vibrola?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Firebird Tremolo: What's a good aftermarket Vibrola?

Post by NICQ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi Dan,

I'm 100% sure judging from the pictures and research online that the one I received was a chrome Montreaux Vibrola unit although the emma music guy insists it was a hosco - I'm pretty sure he only does that so that I have to pay for the return shipping costs because it "does not fit my guitar" and not because he advertised a hosco and sent me the wrong item..

I guess the Montreaux unit could be made functional with additional routing but tbh I'd rather find a "proper" one for that price...
Hosco's Long Vibrola units are impossible to find anywhere online unfortunately

Options I am considering are Allparts (though I read they are not that well welded) and the WD Music Virbola - both can be found on ebay
I wasn't able to persuade myself to give them a try yet... I also have to consider custom tax fees on items over 100€ coming from outside the EU and getting that back when returning an item is also a pita

Crazyparts has a Short Vibrola for 89.- which is not in stock right now but that's also an alternative - they seem to have a great reputation so maybe I'll ditch the long vibrola look and go that route...

There are also no name copies on aliexpress but they are 80eur too so yeah - dunno how their return policy is so I'm not going to give that one a try

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 am

How about the Duesenberg one?

I think it's made by Göldo; which is the parent company of Duesenberg and Kluson (in Europe).
That means that this should be the same Vibrola (for a much steeper price).

"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 am

I think it's made by Göldo; which is the parent company of Duesenberg and Kluson (in Europe).

Weird... that Vibrola isn't listed on either Duesenberg or Göldo site. And nothing like that seems to come up in Google image search. And Tone Factory doesn't have it in stock. Which leads me to believe it doesn't exist - although it definitely should!

BTW, I'm pretty sure Göldo is their distributor, not parent company.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am

kimson wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am
Steadyriot. wrote:

Weird... that Vibrola isn't listed on either Duesenberg or Göldo site. And nothing like that seems to come up in Google image search. And Tone Factory doesn't have it in stock. Which leads me to believe it doesn't exist - although it definitely should!

Hmm when I look under misc. tremolo's it's there..
Tonefactory page says I can have it in 3 to 6 days so they should be orderable there. I think it exists!

Oh and on the parent company bit: Dieter Gölsdorf owns both Göldo and is the CEO of Duesenberg so sister company at the least..! They own the rights to the Kluson name in Europe too.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am
kimson wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am
Steadyriot. wrote:

Hmm when I look under misc. tremolo's it's there..
Tonefactory page says I can have it in 3 to 6 days so they should be orderable there. I think it exists!

Oh and on the parent company bit: Dieter Gölsdorf owns both Göldo and is the CEO of Duesenberg so sister company at the least..! They own the rights to the Kluson name in Europe too.
Ahh, yes, I was just saying it's not a Duesenberg (not their original design nor branded as D) even though Tone Factory advertises it as such.

I guess we were both sort of right/wrong about the business relation thing.