Bridge for fender modern player starcaster/ coronado ii

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bridge for fender modern player starcaster/ coronado ii

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 am

Im in the process of purchasing both guitars. However the thing that puzzles me is, the bridge. Both have a adjustomatic bridge with a 9.5 radius neck. But if i wanted to replace it what do i use?

If i was to purchase a Gibson style tune o matic it be off cause its matched for a 12' radius neck. Do i get a mastery or staytrem? What bridge do i get?

Thanks for you guys help.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge for fender modern player starcaster/ coronado ii

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Why do you want to change it? Don't fix what isn't broken.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Cause i want a better bridge that's why lol

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 pm

My MP Coronado is an amazing guitar, but the bridge posts were mounted about 1/16"-3/32" too far back to properly intonate half the strings w/ the stock bridge. IMO, there's lots of room for improvement of the stock bridge even if you don't have any dysfunction w/ it and I probably would have wanted to replace it anyway at some point.

I had a spare ABM 2400 that I put on it and it had plenty of range for intonation and sounded and felt great but the radius mismatch actually does bug me and it seems kinda silly to rock the roller bridge w/ a fixed tailpiece to me (and I wanted to use it on the ES135 I put a B6 on).

I test fit one of the ABM Nashville size bridges on it w/ the plan of having my luthier friend slot it to 9.5" radius but it didn't have enough saddle travel to intonate either. I think this would be the path of least resistance if your Coronado intonates w/ the stock bridge and you want to upgrade the bridge while matching the radius. I'd probably consider a 9.5" StayTrem for the Starcaster but it is slightly more work/riskier to swap the bushings for thimbles.

I ordered one of the Kluson steel and brass harmonica bridges for my Coronado a few months ago but they still haven't shipped it to me so I've been starting to consider mounting up the ABM 2400 again and getting the necessary measurements/pics to have dBridge make me a compensated bar bridge for it.

filthypit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by filthypit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I vote replace the stock bridge - they've had intonation issues frm day 1 - mainly because the neck is a 22 fret without an overhang (diving board)... and the fine craftsmen @ the factory forgot to factor this in when setting the bridges. Some will intonate fine, many wont. There are a number of good TOM bridges, some w/ adjustable height saddles (Gotoh). Logarithmically speaking, the radius of your bridge should be slightly more broad than the neck - Warmoth compound radius necks are brilliant in addressing that issue. But many nice quality bridges can be made fairly compatible w/ Fender neck by notching the outside saddles (polish your notches for smooth vibratos).
Ya, the Kluson Harmonica bridges are sweet imo...
hey maybe we can get together for coffee sometime?
...after they lift the restraining order, I mean

secondhand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secondhand » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:31 pm

I pulled the legs off of a jazzmaster bridge and it dropped right on the existing post/thumbwheels. The bridge can move a bit since the holes the post fits thru are larger than the posts. if you don't have a trem it shouldn't be much of an issue though. A lot of retrofit options are pretty good but none are perfect.
Good as the best. Bad as the worst!

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Whadya know the Kluson Harmonica for the Coronado finally showed up today ;D It is one seriously solid block of milled steel...

Got as far as test fitting it on the stock posts and then pulling the stock bushings to see if I was going to need to dowel the holes and happily it seems like it will work out great w/ a bit of drill out within the recess for the lip of the stock bushings for the new ones. I'm hoping to get it on the guitar and slotted this weekend.

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm
Whadya know the Kluson Harmonica for the Coronado finally showed up today ;D It is one seriously solid block of milled steel...

Got as far as test fitting it on the stock posts and then pulling the stock bushings to see if I was going to need to dowel the holes and happily it seems like it will work out great w/ a bit of drill out within the recess for the lip of the stock bushings for the new ones. I'm hoping to get it on the guitar and slotted this weekend.

Any word on the harmonica bridge and if it worked?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Fenderbassman...man wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:27 pm
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Any word on the harmonica bridge and if it worked?
Yup, functionally it's great! I'm super impressed w/ the mass of the part and the quality of the machining. The bridge seems well worth the money to me if you're considering a harmonica bridge.

Aesthetically it's a bit large to my eye, accentuated by the slanted posts, if I were doing it over again I would probably fill the holes from the stock post bushings and drill for the new ones equidistant from the nut where the high side sits in this pic, but it works great as is and it intonates w/ a bit of spare travel on the low side saddles:
Last edited by Sid Nitzerglobin on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Was it 52mm?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm

I measure 2 1/16" between my Es (my cheapo calipers are busted and I can't find my metric tape measure).

Here are the specs from the WD site, and they say 52mm:

Bridge Dimensions = 3.5 in. L X 1 in. W X 25/64 in. at center
E to E String Spacing = 52mm
String Pitch = 10.4mm
Radius = 12 inch
Material = Milled Billet Steel w/ brass saddles
Stud thread = 8mm X 1.25 pitch
inserts included

Looking at the retail price they've got on them now I'll modify my previous statement of "well worth the money" to "well worth the money if you can get one used or at reseller discount" :D