Offset SC-2

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset SC-2

Post by sirspens » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone!

I think I am going with the pickguard on the orang-ish one.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:32 pm

hpr_hpr wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:04 pm
To me it looks best with the pickguards with the rhythm circuit with the brown body slightly more appealing (though not in color) ... promably because of the diagonal line? It seems to make the lower bout less 'jarring'. Suggestion: try a mockup with something along the line of a split JM pickguard?
I tried this. I'll post it later. I had a hard time getting the top part of the split pickguard to work.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 pm

I got a saddle lock bridge today, which is the last part I need to take measurements from to finish my design...

Decisions left to make:
Fallout style pickguard, or the one with a rhythm circuit.
Finish: I am considering having this guitar replace my ASAT Special, which has this finish which I love:
I'm tempted to copy the same color scheme, because I really love it. HOWEVER, that is mahogany, and that would make for a very heavy guitar.
To thinline or not?

I have decided to include the PTB controls from the Doheny.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I like that finish, also. You can get the same thing with roasted swamp ash and maybe with roasted alder. Those are somewhat lighter in weight. The guitar in my avatar is transparent red on roasted swamp ash. Otherwise, you would need to mix up a cranberry red to dye it with, possibly with red and a touch or black to darken it.

As to the pickguard, I like the fallout style but that's not to say you can't do as well with one of your previous pickguard designs. Like the middle two in your Mar 2 post.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Rgand wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm
I like that finish, also. You can get the same thing with roasted swamp ash and maybe with roasted alder. Those are somewhat lighter in weight.
Yeah. But part of it is that tight and even linear grain! Just the right piece of alder might be able to pull it off.

I've seen your build, and it is beautiful. Although, it is a bit more red than my ASAT. That ASAT has just a smidge of brown to it. Just a smidge.

I'm a pain in the ass, I know.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:43 pm

sirspens wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 pm
Rgand wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm
I like that finish, also. You can get the same thing with roasted swamp ash and maybe with roasted alder. Those are somewhat lighter in weight.
Yeah. But part of it is that tight and even linear grain! Just the right piece of alder might be able to pull it off.

I've seen your build, and it is beautiful. Although, it is a bit more red than my ASAT. That ASAT has just a smidge of brown to it. Just a smidge.

I'm a pain in the ass, I know.
I'm sure you will find the right combination of dyes to give the color you like. I would start dying scraps until you found the right color. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:47 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 am
It's not cheap, but there's a Comanche neck on eBay right now (no affiliation). And of course, plenty of Tribute Series ones, if you were so inclined.
Thanks to mbene085, I finally found a G&L neck for this project!

Got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283187807647

Should be here in a few days. Now I can get it measured and the design of this project finished up.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:54 am

Awesome. Glad I could be of help!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:01 pm

After getting the neck in (which is a bit of a mystery itself, see below) I took measurements and got everything drafted up. I also realized that I had somehow gotten my bridge off by a bit over the course of designing this thing, and putting it back in place completely threw off all the ratios. So, I have spent the last week or so tweaking. My hope is that it isn't noticeable.

I plan to move on to build here in the near future. But first, last thoughts... do the proportions and ratios look good (I have looked at it so much, I am no longer a reliable judge):

The Neck: I got the neck, and the first thing I noticed is that it is clearly an American neck, but has a plastic nut. Then I noticed there isn't a drill hole where the string tree should be. Then I noticed there are also no holes holes for the tuning machine screws or the neck screws. This neck has obviously never been on a body before. It has the slightest blemish in the finish on the back of the neck. Maybe it is a factory second because of that? I can understand how you wouldn't want that if you paid $2,000 for a guitar, but it is literally not worth taking a picture of. But then, there is a serial number. Why would they give a factory second a serial number?

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

The bridge pickup is just about at the center of the body. To me it looks right. Neck length can vary depending on the scale. In my opinion, you have a nicely balanced design, there. If you find it a bit oversized feeling, you could shorten the heel of the whole guitar slightly.

Another thing I look for in a design is that the control knobs are back far enough so the forward most one (probably volume) isn't crammed up against the bridge pickup. You got that.

Since it sounds like you'll make a new nut, you should be able to cut the thing correctly and not need string trees.

Go for it. Make it like it is. I think you've done well.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Rgand wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm
The bridge pickup is just about at the center of the body. To me it looks right. Neck length can vary depending on the scale. In my opinion, you have a nicely balanced design, there. If you find it a bit oversized feeling, you could shorten the heel of the whole guitar slightly.

Another thing I look for in a design is that the control knobs are back far enough so the forward most one (probably volume) isn't crammed up against the bridge pickup. You got that.

Since it sounds like you'll make a new nut, you should be able to cut the thing correctly and not need string trees.

Thank you for the thoughtful analysis!

You look for a lot of the same things I look for, bridge pickup in about the middle, also about lined up with the lower waist. Control knobs not too far forward so they don't get in the way.

I was going for a big guitar. I like big guitars. It's why I like the Jazzmaster, and the small size of the SC2 is one of my few complaints about it.

It will absolutely be getting a new nut. Bone or Graphite. Probably bone since it is a fixed bridge.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:38 pm

sirspens wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:06 pm
Rgand wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful analysis!

You look for a lot of the same things I look for, bridge pickup in about the middle, also about lined up with the lower waist. Control knobs not too far forward so they don't get in the way.

I was going for a big guitar. I like big guitars. It's why I like the Jazzmaster, and the small size of the SC2 is one of my few complaints about it.

It will absolutely be getting a new nut. Bone or Graphite. Probably bone since it is a fixed bridge.
I look forward to seeing it turn into a reality.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I have been through a lot of options for finishes, and I keep coming to the same two.

First, is the Irish Ale with black pickguard:

Second, is black with a gold anodized aluminum pickguard:

The success of the Irish Ale is going to really depend on getting the grain right. Most of G&L's Irish Ale, so far as I can tell, are on mahogany, which really isn't an option as it will be too heavy. I've seen it on both Alder and Ash, and they look good, but tend to be a bit more brown than reddish brown (which would be fine).

The black finish is obviously much safer since it is a solid color. However, finding someone to do a custom gold anodized pickguard may be a challenge.

If I can guaranteed pull off (which is to say, if I can hire people to pull it off, because I'm going to hire the build and finish of the body out) the Irish Ale, I lean in that direction. But, that isn't guaranteed.
Last edited by sirspens on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Both look great but my personal preference would be the Irish Ale. Either will make a fine guitar, though.

LouReedFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LouReedFan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Another vote for Irish Ale