Best place for wiring/electronics in UK?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Best place for wiring/electronics in UK?

Post by electric_nan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:11 am

Looking for Jazzmaster wiring kits and cheapest place I've found is All Parts:

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/wi ... jazzmaster

Price seems quite high considering I've seen for £10 more I can get someone to wire it for me, thought I'd save myself a fair amount doing it myself. Is it really necessary to the CTS pots and other 'premium' parts?
Last edited by electric_nan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best place for wiring/electronics in UK???

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am

Why just UK ? You should be able to get a fully wired harness for that money, but probably elsewhere.

Much the same kit, half the price ...
http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Wiring-Kit ... _2513.html
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:01 am

timtam wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am
Why just UK ? You should be able to get a fully wired harness for that money.

Much the same kit, half the price ...
http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Wiring-Kit ... _2513.html
I didn't look, wouldn't think it would be double the price to get relatively basic electronics in your own country. I assume the pots are made in the USA which drives up the prices here, which is why I was asking if CTS was necessary or could I get any old pots.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 am

electric_nan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:01 am
... which is why I was asking if CTS was necessary or could I get any old pots.
Well resistance is resistance. 500 ohms is 500 ohms whether it's from a 20 cent pot or a $20 one. So I am bemused when people pay for expensive pots or wiring harnesses as if they will make their guitar sound better.

A more expensive pot may be more durable, which is a consideration for a gigging muso. The taper may be more accurate, but we're not building a mixing desk here.

If you break down the parts in that 86 quid UK Allparts kit there's probably about 10 quid's worth of basic parts (ie not CTS or Switchcraft) ... if you bought them individually from your average electronics parts supplier. But you could run into issues with things like different size pot shafts not fitting knobs or pickguard holes. If you do your homework on things like that you should be OK though. The kits do offer the convenience that everything should should fit together. And the roller pot knobs / bracket and right angle toggle are not standard electronics store parts.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 am

I think it's worth buying quality parts, at least the pots & 3-way switch. Stuff like cloth wire looks the part (and is actually easier to work with) but will essentially do the same job as plastic covered stuff. Moving parts, on the other hand, will fuck up eventually so it makes much more sense to use the best you can find. Switchcraft & CTS or Alpha pots are a no-brainer for me.

Ever thought about doing it yourself? It'd save on cost. The soldering is pretty easy & it's really just the layout of the wires that can be a bit fiddly. To be honest, Jazzmaster wiring is a pain in the arse but it'd be a good way to get your head round how the guitar actually works.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 am
Ever thought about doing it yourself? It'd save on cost. The soldering is pretty easy & it's really just the layout of the wires that can be a bit fiddly. To be honest, Jazzmaster wiring is a pain in the arse but it'd be a good way to get your head round how the guitar actually works.
I am looking to do it myself to save money which is why I'm confused as to why getting the parts yourself (in the uk) seems to be only slightly cheaper than getting someone else to do it e.g. https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/j ... r-harness/ - £86.80 vs £90. Its cheaper to buy from the USA and get it shipped, almost half the price.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:06 am

Be weary of import tax & handling fees too.

Still, if you can find the whole thing in the US for around £40 you'll no doubt make a bit of a saving.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 am

electric_nan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 am
Its cheaper to buy from the USA and get it shipped, almost half the price.
Same Allparts kit in Australia around 55 quid (incl 10% GST/VAT) ....
https://www.realparts.com.au/wiring-kit ... g-kit.html

Seems like UK Allparts is having a lend of you ...

electric_nan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric_nan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:06 am
Be weary of import tax & handling fees too.

Still, if you can find the whole thing in the US for around £40 you'll no doubt make a bit of a saving.
Going by http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Wiring-Kit ... _2513.html I'd only get VAT lumped on - no custom charges - so should still only come to around £52, almost £40 cheaper than getting it from here. Mad!

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best place for wiring/electronics in UK?

Post by HH1978 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 am

I've been using cheap pots and switches in the past, but it always ended with troubles after a couple of months, especially with slide switches. I would invest in switchcraft for those at least.