Jaguar 4-way switch diagram (with rhythm circuit)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
clifford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar 4-way switch diagram (with rhythm circuit)

Post by clifford » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello,

I am modding a Squier VM Jaguar to use a 4-way Telecaster switch for Bridge/Parallel/Neck/Series. But I'd like to keep the rhythm circuit as-is.

I believe all I would need to do is just follow the Telecaster wiring diagram and hook up the wire coming from the rhythm circuit into the neck position of the 4-way switch but I'm not sure if/how the Tone or Volume is wired into the 4-way. I'm a little confused after pouring over diagrams for the Johnny Marr and American Pro Jags in order to figure this out.

Could someone post a diagram they could share if they have done this mod before. Thanks!

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar 4-way switch diagram (with rhythm circuit)

Post by _nash » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I have a drawing for this... but I can't seem to find it tonight.
Maybe instead of thinking of it as a Tele with a rhythm circuit, think of it as a Jag with a 4-way (honestly not trying to sound like a jerk there). So you just need to swap the leads of the pickups and the "hot" from the tone pot into the 4-way switch. On a Jag, the hot come in from the jack to the lead/rhythm switch, (keeping with the lead circuit) then to the volume pot, over to the tone, then to the switch and out to the pickups. It's similar in a Tele but the hot comes in and out the volume pot.

So do you want yours wired like a Marr Jag with a rhythm circuit or a Telecaster with a rhythm circuit?

clifford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clifford » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Okay, I think that clears up a lot of the confusion in my head. I was looking at some wiring diagrams for a 4-way Telecaster and the hot from the volume pot didn't make any sense when I compared it to the Jag diagrams.

So yes, like a Marr Jag but with the rhythm circuit.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

Additional info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106351

clifford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clifford » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

If anyone has a diagram, I'd appreciate it. I'm confused where the wire from the rhythm circuit goes into the 4-way. Thanks.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Give this a try:

clifford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clifford » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks nash!

clifford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clifford » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Hmm. Something not right. I'm getting noise when I use the trem. It seems like a grounding issue. Also the tone is rather muddy. Could there be an error in the schematic?

***EDIT***

Okay, nevermind. Think I got it. Thanks again.

Causeforabortion
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Causeforabortion » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:29 pm

I would love a more detailed drawing of this schematic. Going crazy over here trying to do the same.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:07 pm

Causeforabortion wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:29 pm
I would love a more detailed drawing of this schematic. Going crazy over here trying to do the same.
Here's a schematic of the Marr circuit but with the rhythm circuit preserved. That's a relatively simple variation on the stock Marr circuit. You just take the neck hot (that goes direct to the 4-way in the Marr) and send it to the rhythm/lead switch (as it would on a vintage-wired jag). And then you take that neck signal from the rhythm-OFF position of that switch back to the 4-way switch in the Marr circuit. Finally, the 'output' of the Marr circuit goes back to the other pole of rhythm/lead switch (as would the output of the conventional lead circuit). Everything else in the stock Marr and rhythm circuits stays the same.

Of course with the upper plate rhythm circuit controls preserved you would have to find somewhere else to put the Marr's bright (strangle) and series bright switches (eg two mini-toggle switches placed somewhere) ... or just drop those from the schematic shown (ie bridge the wires across where those two switches are shown).

Stock Marr and vintage circuits shown at the bottom for comparison.

Stock Marr

Stock vintage
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

einpresstiefe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by einpresstiefe » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:25 pm

Here's a collection of all the different switching orders for the 4-way. IMO the Marr setup works with the exclusive bass-cut on the series position, but I prefer the both-pickups-on positions to be next to each other on Telecasters.

Twang Deluxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Twang Deluxe » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:12 pm

timtam wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:07 pm
Causeforabortion wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:29 pm
Here's a schematic of the Marr circuit but with the rhythm circuit preserved. That's a relatively simple variation on the stock Marr circuit. You just take the neck hot (that goes direct to the 4-way in the Marr) and send it to the rhythm/lead switch (as it would on a vintage-wired jag). And then you take that neck signal from the rhythm-OFF position of that switch back to the 4-way switch in the Marr circuit. Finally, the 'output' of the Marr circuit goes back to the other pole of rhythm/lead switch (as would the output of the conventional lead circuit). Everything else in the stock Marr and rhythm circuits stays the same.

Of course with the upper plate rhythm circuit controls preserved you would have to find somewhere else to put the Marr's bright (strangle) and series bright switches (eg two mini-toggle switches placed somewhere) ... or just drop those from the schematic shown (ie bridge the wires across where those two switches are shown).

Stock Marr and vintage circuits shown at the bottom for comparison.

Stock Marr

Stock vintage
Both pickups in series is very useful