The Stratmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Stratmaster

Post by Rgand » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 am

That's a nice job of fitting all that in the allotted space. It looks great. I'd be tempted to put a couple of those little Knobeez knobs in place of the chrome ones just for ease of access.

Telemnemonics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Telemnemonics » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:00 pm

That's pretty cool, it's not easy to fit a pair of JM pups in a Strat because the neck pup is wider than the guard, so a modded guard shape is needed for starters.

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Got my Bensons last week and I like them a lot. They are not traditional JM pups at all though. MUCH beefier tone, more like a Strat. Probably because the bobbin is taller and the wire is wound taller and narrower. I was initially a bit dismayed but I have the Rothstein PTB mod on my JM and when I roll the bass down all the way, the JM tones start peeking out. In fact, I don't know how happy I'd be with these pups if it wasn't for the PTB mod. That is in no way a criticism of the Bensons but I bought a JM primarily because of how it sounds. If I couldn't roll the bass off, I would have returned them but it's a wonderfully versatile guitar now. I may get a vintage 65 neck pup down the road to see what it would sound like, but I am quite satisfied with how it turned out, even if it wasn't what I expected.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 pm

BarnyardCoral wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 pm
Got my Bensons last week and I like them a lot. They are not traditional JM pups at all though. MUCH beefier tone, more like a Strat. Probably because the bobbin is taller and the wire is wound taller and narrower. I was initially a bit dismayed but I have the Rothstein PTB mod on my JM and when I roll the bass down all the way, the JM tones start peeking out. In fact, I don't know how happy I'd be with these pups if it wasn't for the PTB mod. That is in no way a criticism of the Bensons but I bought a JM primarily because of how it sounds. If I couldn't roll the bass off, I would have returned them but it's a wonderfully versatile guitar now. I may get a vintage 65 neck pup down the road to see what it would sound like, but I am quite satisfied with how it turned out, even if it wasn't what I expected.
Great review- mine def were on the beefy side, but went to that classic jazzmaster tone in the middle position...A really versatile set of pickups and the PTB system is a great addition to any pickup in my opinion. :)

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 am

RIORIO wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 pm
Great review- mine def were on the beefy side, but went to that classic jazzmaster tone in the middle position...A really versatile set of pickups and the PTB system is a great addition to any pickup in my opinion. :)
I wouldn't say "classic Jazzmaster tone," but it certainly gets well within range, especially with the bass rolled off. Still, I don't think many JM purists would be won over.

*Update: I take that partly back. Had a chance to A/B these pups with vintage 65s and they sound a lot closer than I initially thought. Not exactly the same but certainly in the same ballpark.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP