Starcaster Style Project

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Starcaster Style Project

Post by danp3man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 am

HNB wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:29 am
This one only had four pot holes and one toggle hole. If I didn't want a toggle I could put a different pot in, but I like toggles. :) I am going to wire it like a Gibson basically. Each pickup gets a volume and tone and they connect to the three way toggle.
....oh, I missed that you don't have a toggle hole up in the horn area like mine- clean job on the wiring! ;I'm also deliberating about making an access opening in the back as on your beautiful guitar- fishing the wired pots and toggle through the body won't be too fun, and any future changes or repairs will also be more challenging. more to mull over!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 am

I know for 100% that I prefer to have the back access. I would not have done the wiring myself if I had needed to feed them in and out of the F holes. Probably the one thing left other than nut or fret tuning that I would not do myself anymore. :) I am pretty comfortable with most any other repairs or electrical work.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:41 pm

As promised a demo. Also a demo of the Ibanez Super Metal pedal I got. (I really like it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQllRVirjJg
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 am
Consider adding a passive bass cut instead, like the G&L PTB circuit. You can either wire it as a master bass cut, or to the neck pickup alone. Helps trim down a humbucker tone into something a little zingier, and really clears up the definition of driven tones.

If you have an abundance of knob-holes, I strongly recommend giving it a try. It's one of the most useful mods I've ever done - I use it more often than I do the actual tone knob.
That's kinda what I did on my Fairlane 5435 I grabbed a few months ago when I put in the TV Classic +/Classic. I did single volume, high pass and low pass tone based on the Reverend implementation back by the bridge, tone/"mud" switch in the place of the MV, and the normal pickup selector (w/ a push/pull blower on the low pass tone pot). Works out great for this guitar! The tone switch is actually pretty useful when using the blower switch giving some switch activated tone options while the volume and tone stack are bypassed. I've got one side of it setup for a strangle, the other as a kinda fat switch.

HNB wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 am
I know for 100% that I prefer to have the back access. I would not have done the wiring myself if I had needed to feed them in and out of the F holes.
It can be a serious pain in the ass working through the F-holes/pickup cavities. The worst are the hollows/semi-hollows w/ no F-holes. I've tried a bunch of different types and sizes of tubing but some how always wind up managing to pull it off of a pot shaft at the most inopportune time at least a few times.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pm

New knobs came in and look great. Pressed on pretty easily. I swapped bridges back to the adjustable Mustang style one because the 11's were popping out of the grooves of the Jazzy bridge. I cut the springs so I could get the saddles all the way back to get it intonated. Sounds great and looks awesome now. :D

Image20171227_150846 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20171227_150854 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars