Need help on some JM mods/specialities

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Need help on some JM mods/specialities

Post by Kihtaristi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

Hi!

Im throwing back and forth ideas with the guy who will build me custom JM and need some help.. The search function deosn't work so I thought this would be right place to ask.

The build will be JM with strat trem and some other more minor mods with neck profile being most important. I know that this JM with strat trem is a big NO for many people here, but that's what I want :D

So to the questions..

1. Are there white mustang/jag knobs available? I think those exist but cannot find them.

2. Is there a place that could do me a gold anodized aluminium pickguard with place for strat trem in EU area.

3. If I cannot find the gold anodized aluminium pickguard, where I could find really nice Fire tort pickguards? I have seen many nice ones on this forum, but there are also some tort guards that just lack fire and beauty.

Thank you for any help and advice you can provide!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need help on some JM mods/specialities

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm

1. https://www.allparts.com/PK-0174-028-Cr ... _5088.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. The only guy I know of does not come recommended

3. I'll see if I can help with that. I'm getting some sheets made up by an artist who works with epoxy resin. The first run will be slightly thicker than usual material (about 3mm-3.25mm instead of 2.8mm) but should look nice and flamey. I'll take some photos of the sheets when they're done in case there's one in particular you like.

If your first choice is a gold anodised aluminium guard though, and if you want it otherwise the same as a JM (rhythm circuit etc), I would buy an official Fender or Squier one, put masking tape on it, draw around your bridge and try and do a fairly neat job with a Dremel and a file.

If you can protect the surface around where you cut and you get it close to the bridge, you won't ever know the edges aren't gold like the rest.

The straight line is the only difficult bit, and I'd say if you can find a fairly heavy metal straight edge, you could clamp that on (using tape to protect the surface) and carefully work up to the line. The aluminium us much softer than the steel.

Hope that helps!

Dan
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Another source for knobs, in Germany. I often order from here and I'm in North America (cheap, fast shipping).

https://www.musikding.de/White-Fluted-25

if you went with tort, Dan's epoxy tort is looking really great. Or Spitfire is an option. Good tort is hard to come by.
Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:36 pm

https://www.musikding.de/Drehknopf-gerillt-25mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:1. https://www.allparts.com/PK-0174-028-Cr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _5088.html

2. The only guy I know of does not come recommended

3. I'll see if I can help with that. I'm getting some sheets made up by an artist who works with epoxy resin. The first run will be slightly thicker than usual material (about 3mm-3.25mm instead of 2.8mm) but should look nice and flamey. I'll take some photos of the sheets when they're done in case there's one in particular you like.

If your first choice is a gold anodised aluminium guard though, and if you want it otherwise the same as a JM (rhythm circuit etc), I would buy an official Fender or Squier one, put masking tape on it, draw around your bridge and try and do a fairly neat job with a Dremel and a file.

If you can protect the surface around where you cut and you get it close to the bridge, you won't ever know the edges aren't gold like the rest.

The straight line is the only difficult bit, and I'd say if you can find a fairly heavy metal straight edge, you could clamp that on (using tape to protect the surface) and carefully work up to the line. The aluminium us much softer than the steel.

Hope that helps!

Dan
Thank you for the tip on the aluminium. Though im still a little bit afraid that the anodized gold would start to wear off on the edges where I cut.. I might just go with some nice and firy tort.

I will probably go with american professional style wiring, so no rhytm circuit. Other thing that I need to ask is that are the holes for volume&tone pots and plug same size?

I will have own volume for each pickup and master tone. I think it might be good idea, if I have p90 in the bridge and JM neck pickup, so it allows me to control volumes and blend the pickups like I want in the middle position.. I was considering that I could maybe use the plug hole for the tone pot and have plug like this (pic from the other tread):
eurotrashed wrote:It would make the guitar suck.

Jagmaster is setup this way

And Warmoth builds like this

The trem/ bridge setup is a big impact on how these guitars sound