'66 Big Block Jazzmaster pickguard replacement

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

'66 Big Block Jazzmaster pickguard replacement

Post by Kutt » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Has anyone here replaced the factory pickguard on a MIJ '66 Big Block JM? I'm starting to explore the options and of course everything is riddled with pitfalls because of the sheer number of variants. I'm hoping someone here can refer me to an exact retrofit. I know there are pickguard manufacturers out there who can replicate one but I'll go that route as a last option as it's the most expensive route. Thanks!

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: '66 Big Block Jazzmaster pickguard replacement

Post by Kutt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 am

Whelp. After reading two forum statements that Allparts' JM pickguard fit those player's MIJ Jazzmasters I inspected pictures of it online very, very closely. It *appears* it will fit. Rolled the dice and ordered one. Will post back before and after pictures if it works out.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 am

Kutt wrote:Whelp. After reading two forum statements that Allparts' JM pickguard fit those player's MIJ Jazzmasters I inspected pictures of it online very, very closely. It *appears* it will fit. Rolled the dice and ordered one. Will post back before and after pictures if it works out.
You made the correct choice. Allparts, or any other pickguard maker who specifies they use the MIJ/CIJ template, is what you need.

There are only three basic shapes on JM pickguards. Vintage/USA/AVRI/Mexican, Japanese (MIJ/CIJ), and Warmoth (which just does their own thing, moved the bridge pickup, stops short of the bridge). The only variation on those three is that Tune-o-matic-equipped guitars (like the Classic Player) have a cutout under the bridge to let you lower it more, but their silhouette and routing is still the vintage USA one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kutt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 am

mbene085 wrote: You made the correct choice. Allparts, or any other pickguard maker who specifies they use the MIJ/CIJ template, is what you need.

There are only three basic shapes on JM pickguards. Vintage/USA/AVRI/Mexican, Japanese (MIJ/CIJ), and Warmoth (which just does their own thing, moved the bridge pickup, stops short of the bridge). The only variation on those three is that Tune-o-matic-equipped guitars (like the Classic Player) have a cutout under the bridge to let you lower it more, but their silhouette and routing is still the vintage USA one.
Thanks for the input. The description is non-committal for CIJ/MIJ. haha. I ran my eye over every list millimeter in the picture and it looks exact. But obviously I won't really know until the strings come off. Here's their description:

"Pickguard for Fender® Jazzmaster® guitar. Intended for most '62 Jazzmaster® USA models. May work on some imports."

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Kutt wrote:
mbene085 wrote: You made the correct choice. Allparts, or any other pickguard maker who specifies they use the MIJ/CIJ template, is what you need.

Thanks for the input. The description is non-committal for CIJ/MIJ. haha. I ran my eye over every list millimeter in the picture and it looks exact. But obviously I won't really know until the strings come off. Here's their description:

"Pickguard for Fender® Jazzmaster® guitar. Intended for most '62 Jazzmaster® USA models. May work on some imports."
It's a well-known* (*within the offset community only) fact that the standard Allparts guards were patterned after MIJ reissues despite their claims to the contrary. They're contributed significantly to the "will it fit???" questions you see all over the internet. They started making them at a time that "reissue" meant "Japanese", but over time AVRIs have become the only vintage reissue JMs sold new in North America, and "AVRI" has become the standard term most companies use to designate USA reissue-compatible guards.

Anyway, I digress...unless something dramatic has changed in the last few years since I used an Allparts guard, it'll fit an MIJ. Just remember that every pickguard might need a small amount of finessing around the neck and pickups to get it to line up just right.

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kutt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:59 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Kutt wrote:

It's a well-known* (*within the offset community only) fact that the standard Allparts guards were patterned after MIJ reissues despite their claims to the contrary. They're contributed significantly to the "will it fit???" questions you see all over the internet. They started making them at a time that "reissue" meant "Japanese", but over time AVRIs have become the only vintage reissue JMs sold new in North America, and "AVRI" has become the standard term most companies use to designate USA reissue-compatible guards.

Anyway, I digress...unless something dramatic has changed in the last few years since I used an Allparts guard, it'll fit an MIJ. Just remember that every pickguard might need a small amount of finessing around the neck and pickups to get it to line up just right.

Thanks very much for the detailed replies. If all goes according to plans, I'll have pics in the next week or so.

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kutt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Done! This came together quickly. I haven't used Photobucket since the uproar not long ago, so I'm not sure if linking will work but I'll try.

I removed the factory white pickguard, and the factory white plastics. Night and day difference cosmetically. I feel like I've got a whole new guitar. I was contemplating doing something like this for years but never knew what scheme to go with until I saw the CAR American Professional that's out now. I like it a lot. The new Allparts 'guard had only 2 holes that were slightly off, one worse than the other. However I did not need to drill or file anywhere. I gently hand-screwed the screws and things wiggled into place. They only put one strip of shielding where the pots and output jack are. I plan on upgrading the wiring and pots in the near future, so I'll shield the entire thing then but so far what they did is effective.

This guitar has some history with me. I got it around 2009, I think, and have a love/hate relationship (far beyond annoying bridge rattle) that would require another thread to elborate on. Warranty issues among them. But long story short, it became a money-pit guitar to get it where it needed to be. Do I want to unload it? No. But if I knew from the onset what I was getting into I probably wouldn't have made the purchase. On a related note- you can see the Mastery bridge but under those pup covers are a set of Curtis Novak's. Love 'em.

My only question now... how does the dang whammy bar tip come off? hahahaha. I tried pulling and twisting, but it's on there pretty good. 'tis the last piece of the facelift.

Thanks again for everoyne's help.

Before

Dry fit

After

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kutt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Got the whammy bar tip off. Fired up the tea kettle and gave it the molten hot lava treatment!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm

It really does look like that American Professional Bigsby JM they released a year or two ago. Glad you like it! I'm a huge sucker for mint on these, but I agree that sometimes pickguard change really does give an old guitar a new lease on life.

That CAR JM66B is just gorgeous. Glad you finally have it in a place where you're happy with it!