interesting humbucker-shaped objects?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: interesting humbucker-shaped objects?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:45 am

Now that I think about it the amps I will play the most have a single tone control. Same with dirt pedals. I don't see any issues with extended high end, but extra bass could be a problem.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

marqueemoon wrote:Now that I think about it the amps I will play the most have a single tone control. Same with dirt pedals. I don't see any issues with extended high end, but extra bass could be a problem.
Jumboyogi makes an excellent point. A PTB tone circuit would almost certainly fix that issue. It can be done with a concentric pot if you don't have any extra pots to "spare" on the guitar, so you can replace an existing tone control with a PTB circuit. The bass control is essentially just a variable form of a jaguar's strangle switch.

Just something to think about.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:I was thinking humbucker-sized P-90's or maybe some of the strange fare from Jerry Sentell. He makes unique and cool stuff. His "Ricky style" looks interesting:
http://www.sentellpickups.net/humbuckers.html
I SECOND SENTELL. I bought my custom wound tele bridge pickup from him. he did it to my specs with clear bobbin and gold coloured pole pieces.
I'd shoot him an email and see what you come up with.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 am

mbene085 wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:Now that I think about it the amps I will play the most have a single tone control. Same with dirt pedals. I don't see any issues with extended high end, but extra bass could be a problem.
Jumboyogi makes an excellent point. A PTB tone circuit would almost certainly fix that issue. It can be done with a concentric pot if you don't have any extra pots to "spare" on the guitar, so you can replace an existing tone control with a PTB circuit. The bass control is essentially just a variable form of a jaguar's strangle switch.

I despise concentric pots. I think I'd rather have a switchable fixed high pass filter at about 80 Hz in the guitar and use a standard tone control for treble rolloff if needed. I play solo with an electric guitar sometimes, and when I do extra bass can be a good thing. I just don't like it in a band mix.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 am

marqueemoon wrote:
mbene085 wrote:

I despise concentric pots. I think I'd rather have a switchable fixed high pass filter at about 80 Hz in the guitar and use a standard tone control for treble rolloff if needed. I play solo with an electric guitar sometimes, and when I do extra bass can be a good thing. I just don't like it in a band mix.
Ah, I have a thing for concentrics, but I get it.

What kind of guitar is this for, anyway? Are you ok with push/pull, push/push, or S1 switches? You can just put a simple high-pass cap on any sort of switch you desire, and use it when you're in a full mix. Really easy and cheap to tweak the rolloff frequency by changing caps until you find the value that sounds good to you.

I know some metal guys do this to tighten up palm muting on drop-tuned guitars, where the bass frequencies can really start to get out of hand.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:32 am

mbene085 wrote:
Steadyriot. wrote: Image
the PH90!
Ok, I thought I had seen everything (single-coil-sounding HBs were an absolute obsession of mine for several years), but that is freaking awesome. Design-wise, it's basically a G&L Z-coil (split-coil using a bar magnet and screw polepieces) but with the weirdest polepiece arrangement I've ever seen! The G string would theoretically sound much warmer than the D string...
woah, this is super interesting

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Ended up going with Fralin Big Singles. The Waterslide Guitars demos totally sold me on them. Plus 20% off on Reverb today. Will probably be a while before I have them in, but I'm still super excited.

They're going in this thing.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 am

Nice! I love that guitar and I'm excited to hear what you think of the Big Singles.

I've been debating Big Singles vs Twangmaster for an HH jag...thinking of the Twangmaster, since it's a warmer sounding guitar to begin with, but I'll be interested to see/hear your impressions!