Mbene085's overdue project thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mbene085's overdue project thread

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 am

So, I've had two projects sitting on my workbench for over 6 months. I'm finally getting around to finishing them, so I figured starting a thread would help keep me motivated. I snapped this photo the other night as a reminder to myself of which screws I needed to pick up, but then realized it looked kinda cool, so let's start with this one:

Anyone want to guess what this might turn into? Hint: it's not a straight reproduction of a vintage Offset, but like most of my guitars, it's a hybrid of 2-3 designs...and is probably something that OSG folks will dig. All the info you need to deduce the models happens to be in that photo.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mbene085's overdue project thread

Post by Fiddy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 am

Jaguar with Fender XII pickups

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 am

tribi9 wrote:Jaguar with Fender XII pickups
Well, shoot. That took all of 4 minutes to guess!

I was hoping to post "reveal" shots of the body last night, but ran into an issue. The body is an MJT jag in aged LPB that I'm pairing with a clay-dot '64 Mustang neck that they finished with a matching headstock. I widened the routs for the XII pickups but stupidly didn't check for depth. The Novak XII-FAT in the bridge fits just fine but the XII-V he wound for the neck is 1/8" deeper than the cavity because of the long rod magnets sticking out the back.

Wouldn't have been a big deal, except for the part where I only discovered this after spending an hour shielding the entire guitar with copper tape :fp:. Going to have to peel that off and deepen the neck pickup rout...

I'm pretty proud of the wiring scheme I've concocted...or at least will be, if it works. I have a Faction upper plate cut for two Mustang 3-way switches. Each pair of XII pickups was wound RW/RP for humcancelling and with individual leads (4-conductor wiring). They go to the Mustang switches - one for neck, one for bridge - before going to the Jag plate in the lower bout. Each mustang switch selects bass strings/both in series/treble strings, so I can get the traditional XII pickup (both halves in series) as well as weird combos like the bass strings of the neck pickup and the treble strings of the bridge pickup, or vice-versa.

Theoretically, this switching scheme will also allow even weirder things like the bass strings of the neck pickup, and the treble strings of the neck and bridge pickups in parallel...but I'll feel better once it's strung up and I can confirm that it works the way it seems to on paper.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 am

mbene085 wrote:I'm pretty proud of the wiring scheme I've concocted...or at least will be, if it works. I have a Faction upper plate cut for two Mustang 3-way switches. Each pair of XII pickups was wound RW/RP for humcancelling and with individual leads (4-conductor wiring). They go to the Mustang switches - one for neck, one for bridge - before going to the Jag plate in the lower bout. Each mustang switch selects bass strings/both in series/treble strings, so I can get the traditional XII pickup (both halves in series) as well as weird combos like the bass strings of the neck pickup and the treble strings of the bridge pickup, or vice-versa.

Theoretically, this switching scheme will also allow even weirder things like the bass strings of the neck pickup, and the treble strings of the neck and bridge pickups in parallel...but I'll feel better once it's strung up and I can confirm that it works the way it seems to on paper.
It'll work. That's how I'm wiring my upcoming bass project. Each 3-way Mustang switch is wired just like a 3-way pickup selector, with each coil's hot wore going to those spots on the switch. Can't miss.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Six months is no time at all--what are you talking about? ;) ;)

If you finish a project quicker than that, it means you aren't playing enough.
remember / to kick it over