Who makes a mustang with jazzmaster tremolo route?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ancientbones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Who makes a mustang with jazzmaster tremolo route?

Post by ancientbones » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Does anyone on here make a mustang body with a jazzmaster tremolo route?

I thought I could modify what seems to be a jay turser model, but it's turning out to be more of a headache than it's worth so I'm thinking of just starting with a whole new body.

I've seen other threads of people who've built mustangs with jazzmaster tremolo routes, but they're all a few years old now and don't really mention anyone in particular.

Any help?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who makes a mustang with jazzmaster tremolo route?

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Well, I can say that I'm going to be "making" one soon, when I carve out the stock Mustang route on mine to accommodate a JM vibrato assembly. I've modified the stock Mustang plate with a slot to accept the JM piece and now I just need to make room for it in the body. My intention, unlike how JM vibratos usually get used, is to make it fit within the stock Mustang plate footprint. This will also necessitate moving the arm collet back away from the Mustang bridge about 1/2" and forming a new arm to divert around the bridge rather than cross over it. I'll make a thread when it comes together.

Have you come to the same conclusion I did, which is that the Mustang vibrato is a stupid piece of kit and the far superior JM design should have been adapted to it from the start? It seems unFenderlike that they developed a whole new (crappy) system for the Mustang instead of repurposing the JM/Jag parts they already had on hand since the 50's. I wonder if this was one of the first instances of CBS breaking from Leo's way of thought.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Jay tursor
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Phillips dubrueille made Belinda valentine's one. He has a workshop in Denmark street London. From what I understand, mustangs aren't deep enough to take a JM tremolo stock. They need to be deeper.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Played my friend's Mustang a little bit tonight. That trem system is awful.

ancientbones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ancientbones » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 am

I have a jay turser body right now I'm pretty sure but nothing really fits right. Trying to find a good luthier.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:18 am

There's a member here, who made one - it's full-scale though...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTa3fYBlHDy ... ossguitars

Maybe enquire about a standard body with JM trem route?

EDIT: Here you go, from within! http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 5#p1435187

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 am

marqueemoon wrote:Played my friend's Mustang a little bit tonight. That trem system is awful.
It's fussier than a jm/jag vibrato, and some MIJ mustang trems are pretty shit but, if you've got a good quality one (like a vintage unit) and it's set up properly they're fine.

ancientbones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ancientbones » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am

parry wrote:There's a member here, who made one - it's full-scale though...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTa3fYBlHDy ... ossguitars

Maybe enquire about a standard body with JM trem route?

EDIT: Here you go, from within! http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 5#p1435187

I sent a PM. Thanks

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 am

If you are looking for a project guitar then I went guitarbuild uk for my ongoing mustang w/ JM trem project. I specified a 25/5 scale length but I believe he offers it off the shelf as a 24 inch scale. Great quality.

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:Played my friend's Mustang a little bit tonight. That trem system is awful.
It's fussier than a jm/jag vibrato, and some MIJ mustang trems are pretty shit but, if you've got a good quality one (like a vintage unit) and it's set up properly they're fine.
Agree, I love the Mustang trem it holds tune fine and can be more extreme/less tension? than a Jag/JM trem which can take a little getting used to.
That said would love a Mustang with Jag/JM trem.

Here is my Mustang...

HairyChapter
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by HairyChapter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 am

My only experience with the mustang treme is on my own vintage one and I love it. Holds tune great, can get really freaky bends and i love that you can just slam your fist on top of it for a tremolo. But on the other hand I also love a properly set-up jazz trem so what do I know ;D

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 am

Philippe Dubreuille is now based in Camden (96 Parkway Road) at Rock'nRoll Rescue next to the Dublin Castle. A good number of the workspaces on Denmark Street are vanishing as the buildings on the north side are being renovated...
FrankRay wrote:Phillips dubrueille made Belinda valentine's one. He has a workshop in Denmark street London. From what I understand, mustangs aren't deep enough to take a JM tremolo stock. They need to be deeper.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
This is a vintage one. The fact that he plays lighter strings than I would doesn't help, but ultimately I don't like it in the same way I dislike even the best set up Strat trems. I don't like the feel or the sound.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 am

IDK if he makes a mustang, but I ordered a custom routed Jazzcaster/telemaster from Saylor guitars. The price was right and it was an easy project. He has some listings on ebay right now, no mustangs though. YOu can contact him and ask.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.