Success! Epoxy Tort

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
markblack77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Success! Epoxy Tort

Post by markblack77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:09 pm

stable_hq wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster...

This is cool - a neat texture which is unlike other tort-style guards.

I've been casting my own tort-style guards for a while too (here are a few examples - https://www.instagram.com/stable_equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Completely different method (and fairly labour intensive), but the results are ok. No machining required, and it's more stable and UV resistant than resin/traditional epoxy.
Some of thoses tort guards look great.

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am

Deed_Poll wrote:Cheers guys!

J, no this is a different one. The one in Scotland used more heat gun techniques that were deforming the plastic and decided she couldn't do it. Rebecca uses more swirly techniques I think, I'll need to see if it cuts cleanly on the machine and if I'll need to thickness it down and sand / polish the surface (there is a chance of air bubbles).

Looks good though, eh!
That looks awesome !
If it is to go to the tort way, I reckon swirls are fine but when you look at vintage tort, there are also some drops.
The drops seem to create the clearer holes and some sort of 'fumes' / swirls.
They actually might not be drops but liquid injections in the layer base.

Anyway, thanks for the hardwork and keep us posted. Looking forward to more creations !!!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 am

I just took a look at the Instagram stuff too. Amazing work, especially that Telecaster guard.

Welcome to the forum :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 am

I did a trial cut on the test piece in the shape of a Marauder control plate, it machined perfectly. It's fully bonded on to the vinyl as well, and it really looks the part from the edge.

Next step is to get some 1.5mm w/b/w backing material and get cracking..!

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 am

Yep, that looks the bollocks!! :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 am

Deed_Poll wrote:I did a trial cut on the test piece in the shape of a Marauder control plate, it machined perfectly. It's fully bonded on to the vinyl as well, and it really looks the part from the edge.

Hmm . . . if you get some appropriately colored brown/black material it will be VERY hard to distinguish from the real thing from a bit of distance . . . . maybe don't try and take it through customs because of CITES regulations . . . . then again the edges are the 'giveaway' with the clear material peeking through so you may not have an issue once they take a 'good' look at at.

Maybe next time use a tan base instead of a clear? Those white spots look fine in the photographs but maybe a bit bright, and do you notice that you see through to the base from the top of the material there? with a tan base (and adding in some ever so lightly tan for the white) it may be even closer to the 'real' thing?
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Cheers guys!

Yeah so that was my bad, looking at the tort on my '66 Jazz Bass it seemed like the lighter spots were opaque so I said to put a bit of opaque white in it... I've since changed the formula to some slightly diluted transparent amber.

I'm going to see if I can get some parchment material as well, and we're going to do a few different ones with different amounts of each colour. I'm mostly after a decent red tone though to be honest, that's what's really lacking from the market (besides Spitfire's stuff, obviously!)

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Very nice. You should try some non-traditional colors so we can have some awesome looking purple or green tort.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:50 pm

That looks amazing! Are you able to do other colors?
We are merely moving shadows.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Badass Dan!! Looks better than your initial tests too!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes other colours might be on the horizon... My first inclination is to do a traditional tort but with a few speckles of peacock blue just to pop out and provide some interest. Completely different colours are also very possible, but I'm going to focus on getting some popular colours nailed to start with.

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig, let me know! I will need reference guards to make absolutely sure my toolpaths are correct for different mounting hole patterns. Particularly if you have an AVRI or MIJ Jaguar / Jazzmaster, or an AVRI / MIM P-Bass / J-Bass guard you can send my way we can help each other out!

Cheers dudes! I've got a massive hard on for this all of a sudden... :D

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 pm

This is some incredible looking stuff. Please keep up this momentum! 8)
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:47 pm

This is fantastic! It's always cool to see another flavor of tort. They're not usually my bag, but sometimes the right tort in the right place is the right thing, and there are some very cool non-fender style torts that are always a breath of fresh air to see used. Nice work.
This is an excellent rectangle

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 pm

hpr_hpr wrote:
Deed_Poll wrote:I did a trial cut on the test piece in the shape of a Marauder control plate, it machined perfectly. It's fully bonded on to the vinyl as well, and it really looks the part from the edge.

Hmm . . . if you get some appropriately colored brown/black material it will be VERY hard to distinguish from the real thing from a bit of distance . . . . maybe don't try and take it through customs because of CITES regulations . . . . then again the edges are the 'giveaway' with the clear material peeking through so you may not have an issue once they take a 'good' look at at.

Maybe next time use a tan base instead of a clear? Those white spots look fine in the photographs but maybe a bit bright, and do you notice that you see through to the base from the top of the material there? with a tan base (and adding in some ever so lightly tan for the white) it may be even closer to the 'real' thing?
I think it's a really cool alternative to the real thing.

stable_hq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stable_hq » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 am

This is excellent! Looks like Coca-Cola and ocean whitewash.

Beautiful!