Can I buy a starcaster body somewhere?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Can I buy a starcaster body somewhere?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

I've had this great Rhoney Starcaster neck for a couple years now and forever have planned to do a Jazzmaster thing with it, but the more I think about it the more I truly just want a starcaster with an offset trem. Do we have any builders who could help me do this, or can anyone point me in the right direction? MJT said no dice but they'd finish one if I found it. I want a double bound, non-curved top out of whatever wood, doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can I buy a starcaster body somewhere?

Post by HNB » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Warmoth has a "Mooncaster" that might work for you.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Also check Reverb.com. I have seen a few Starcaster bodies on there recently.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/parts/gu ... starcaster

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 pm

sirspens wrote:Also check Reverb.com. I have seen a few Starcaster bodies on there recently.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/parts/gu ... starcaster
^ Beware the neck heel placement issues if buying a Modern Player body though; they're designed to work only with the Fender Modern Player Starcaster neck IIRC (guessing the Rhoney neck is designed to fit standard Fender 25.5" bodies).
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 pm

AAAAND I FINALLY remembered the guy's name on eBay who builds all those highly affordable and excellent looking bodies - Saylor Guitars:

Here's one to suit a hardtail bridge ready to go for just $165USD:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Saylor-Unfin ... 41cc11a313

Would suggest geting in touch to ask about making one with bridge holes and vibrato routing to suit offset parts; ISTR many OSG-ers have used his bodies for projects with near universal praise for the quality of the work and customer service received.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah shit I should have been clear - mooncaster wont work. Shape is off, arched top, etc. same goes for the modern player body. I need something with binding that's unfinished or built by someone who can finish it for me.

I'll check out asshole though, thanks! Any other suggestions?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:I'll check out asshole though, thanks!
:unsure:
David McComb, 1987.

onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by onichodaddy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Michael at Rosser Guitars used to do custom bodies in pine, maple and mahogany, including Starcaster-style bodies. Pics of his Starcaster bodies are posted elsewhere in this forum. I ordered three custom bodies from him earlier this year and were very happy with them. Prices were very reasonable, workmanship great and he was real pleasure to deal with. Patient, accommodating and responsive. Unfortunately, according to his website (http://rosserguitars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), doesn't look like he's making custom bodies anymore but you may want to contact him to see if he'll be making any Starcaster bodies soon and selling them via his eBay store. Happy to order from him again and highly recommend him over others who can do Starcaster-style bodies since his bodies look closer to the real deal if the Mooncaster isn't your thing and he isn't an a-hole.