Transparent Green Jaguar project FAILED now it's BLACK

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Transparent Green Jaguar project FAILED now it's BLACK

Post by George L » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 am

Hi guys!
I bought a Jaguar body three months ago from Guitar and Bass Build UK. (Ebay seller trollmusic)
It's a 2 piece Alder 2.10 kg

stained and top coated.
now i have to wait for wet sanding

Last edited by George L on Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Transparent Green Jaguar project

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 am

I think this looks great! The colour of the guard really works at bringing it all together.
Match the pickup covers to the term arm tip, slap on a rosewood neck & you've got a winner!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:21 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:I think this looks great! The colour of the guard really works at bringing it all together.
Match the pickup covers to the term arm tip, slap on a rosewood neck & you've got a winner!
Thanks! I think Fender Pure vintage pickup covers match with this arm tip. Now I have to find a Neck. My problem is that most decent Jaguar necks have vintage frets and 7.25'' radius.
I like medium jumbos and 9,5'' radius
I have to buy another Classic player Jaguar neck

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 am

George L wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:I think this looks great! The colour of the guard really works at bringing it all together.
Thanks! I think Fender Pure vintage pickup covers match with this arm tip. Now I have to find a Neck. My problem is that most decent Jaguar necks have vintage frets and 7.25'' radius.
That looks great! The mint pickguard really works. At first I was thinking it would look good with a black guard to make it a "Thurston Moore Jaguar" but honestly the mint is so much better.

Don't forget about Blacktop Jaguar necks. They're 9.5" with decently big frets and a very comfortable profile (to me, at least). I picked up a local BT jag for barely more than I see CP necks selling for online. If you can find one cheap/locally, you could really come out ahead by selling the body afterward.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am

mbene085 wrote:
George L wrote:
That looks great! The mint pickguard really works. At first I was thinking it would look good with a black guard to make it a "Thurston Moore Jaguar" but honestly the mint is so much better.

Don't forget about Blacktop Jaguar necks. They're 9.5" with decently big frets and a very comfortable profile (to me, at least). I picked up a local BT jag for barely more than I see CP necks selling for online. If you can find one cheap/locally, you could really come out ahead by selling the body afterward.
Thanks! Yes blacktop Jaguar neck is an option... What about these (Chinese) modern player Jaguars they are VERY cheap used (£275.00 one for sale on Gumtree)
Damn the CP neck is my favorite but I hate the import taxes

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Beautiful.

Also, I love that your guitar is on a pillow. I always see people taking pictures of their guitars on concrete or asphalt and I just scream in my head, "THAT'S YOUR GUITAR! TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUITAR!"

Big tuna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Big tuna » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 pm

That mint guard works well nice Jag in the makings.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am

sirspens wrote:Beautiful.

Also, I love that your guitar is on a pillow. I always see people taking pictures of their guitars on concrete or asphalt and I just scream in my head, "THAT'S YOUR GUITAR! TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUITAR!"
Big tuna wrote:That mint guard works well nice Jag in the makings.

thanks guys
I like that everyone digs the mint pickguard with this body.
mbene085 wrote: The mint pickguard really works. At first I was thinking it would look good with a black guard to make it a "Thurston Moore Jaguar" but honestly the mint is so much better.
I Think TM JM would look cool with mint pg

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:04 am

I went on a little journey with this thread. When I saw the first photo with the dark green unfinished body I was thinking... "Hmmm... that green seems too dark and a little patchy, I'm not sure that I like this".

Then you slapped on that mint guard and chrome, which ties it all together and now I fully appreciate the variations in the depth of colour and transparency. I think it looks fantastic! What a stroke of genius! I can't wait to see the final piece.

I also have a G&B body on my OTM Partsmaster and now I'm tempted to strip it and have a go at something transparent like this myself... that's how inspiring it is :-)

I share your feelings about the 9.5 radius too. What are you planning to do with the headstock, George?

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 am

jellodog wrote:I went on a little journey with this thread. When I saw the first photo with the dark green unfinished body I was thinking... "Hmmm... that green seems too dark and a little patchy, I'm not sure that I like this".

Then you slapped on that mint guard and chrome, which ties it all together and now I fully appreciate the variations in the depth of colour and transparency. I think it looks fantastic! What a stroke of genius! I can't wait to see the final piece.

I also have a G&B body on my OTM Partsmaster and now I'm tempted to strip it and have a go at something transparent like this myself... that's how inspiring it is :-)

I share your feelings about the 9.5 radius too. What are you planning to do with the headstock, George?
Thanks man!
after some coats of stain I sanded some areas to create this patchy effect.
I sanded mostly the arm contour. I also wanted the upper horn darker.
I was lazy to sand the area behind the pickguard and now looks a bit dark and boring but I don't really care it's covered by the pickguard anyway
i will go for a genuine fender CP or a blacktop neck I like the plain headstocks with the fender logo. I think matching headstock is better for solid colors
well mabe a black headstock will look cool?
By the way Your OTM JM sounds and looks great. I wouldn't refinish this guitar

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Transparent Green Jaguar project FAILED now it's BLACK

Post by George L » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 am

I almost forgot this thread.
Well actually I want to forget how disappointed I was with the Water Based Top Coat I used. :-[
The top coat was very soft. A month after the application I could write my name on the finish with my fingernail and wet sanding was a disaster (by the way the seller assured me that I can wet sand the finish).
I will never use water based poly again
Anyway I always loved black jaguars.

Sorry for the bad quality photos

Removed the water based poly and sprayed the body black

Jaguars have so many parts :P

For this project I wanted to try Fender AV62 ri pickups and not pure vintage av65
The body is from Neil Haynes. (Guitar and Bass Build UK/ trollmusic) All parts are Fender AV except the Staytrem bridge, cloth wiring and shims from Stewmac. Pickguard , shielding, screws and foam for the pickups from EY guitars.
The guitar is very resonant and I like the 62 ri pickups very much especially the neck. I think the av65 bridge pickup is better
I love part-guars

Now I want a third Jaguar :fp:

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Crap! That was looking really good. :(
Water-based, eh...

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 am

I'm not sure if it's my colour blindness but that transparent green looked a lot like the walnut stain on the elvis costello jazzmasters (and with the mint guard thats the exact jaguar I used to make in the dressing room, haha).

Pity it didnt work out but black is a really really nice colour on jags in my opinion.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 am

Futuron wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm
Crap! That was looking really good. :(
Water-based, eh...
I bought the stain and the clear top coat from Northwest guitars UK
The stain is actually very beautiful but the top coat is crap
dylanafghjkl wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 am
I'm not sure if it's my colour blindness but that transparent green looked a lot like the walnut stain on the elvis costello jazzmasters (and with the mint guard thats the exact jaguar I used to make in the dressing room, haha).

Pity it didnt work out but black is a really really nice colour on jags in my opinion.
You are right the color of the body was somewhere between brown (Elvis Costello jazzmaster) and green {Thurston Moore Jazzmaster).
I always wanted a black Jaguar anyway.
I still want more green guitars though.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 pm

George L wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 am
I still want more green guitars though.
I don't blame you. I have three green ones and mull over refinishing my other guitars to be green too. :ph34r: :jacked: