Pointy Guitars, gotta dig 'em!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pointy Guitars, gotta dig 'em!

Post by kdanie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 pm

This is inspired by Deed-Poll's Yamaha SG3 with Jag neck post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100318 but it's NOT a copy, the same but different. I DID start with his basic pickguard shape but it will likely evolve some. I started with a 'stang template but just adding points to the horns made it too long & narrow so I added a little mass top & bottom, not much really. I'm thinking 24" scale, locking roller bridge, 5 way switch like a strat but just a single tone knob & a top mount jack so it's not in the way when I'm sitting (I'm ALWAYS sitting when I play). I don't have CNC so I won't likely be able to get the cool round over with sharp points but I'll try. I love generous contours & roundovers so those are set. I'm thinking maybe Wimbelton White with the pickguard & trem top plate cut from steel sheet, polished & given a blue/black finish using gun blueing-I've been wanting to try that for a while. I think I have some mahogany type wood for the body and a maple neck on the shelf in the shop.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pointy Guitars, gotta dig 'em!

Post by Fiddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Wow, looking good.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Neat! Consider me subscribed.
This is an excellent rectangle

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 pm

I spent a few minutes with the bandsaw and a LOT of time sanding the perimeter, the better the template the better the body. It's FAR easier to get a 1/4" thick template sanded to the right shape than a thick body! I added 1/8" or so to the top of the waist, it's amazing how much difference so little material can make. I sat it on my lap in "playing position" and I think the lower waist is pretty well located for comfort. I'm starting to think this shouldn't have a JM style trem, I have a "Hofner" style surface mount trem on the bench I'll try out before I route for a JM just to see how it fits. I've got a set of toaster pickups that might be more interesting than Strat style... choices, choices.

I'll glue up the blank tomorrow morning before it gets hot and keep moving on it.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Looking good Ken! It's definitely its own thing with that Mustang waist, and I wouldn't mind even if it wasn't!

If you use a nice big roundover or similar edging tool (ideally a parabolic one that is broader than it is deep) you will find that just by working the bearing around the points will leave a nice sculpted line all on its own.

Good luck!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form