Talk about modern finishes

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Talk about modern finishes

Post by Ben17e » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 am

I know there are some guys on this forum spraying non nitro finishes with spray systems. Tell us about where to get materials and how to approach this type of finishing! (Please)

Toots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Talk about modern finishes

Post by Toots » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm

I recently switched to a waterbased finish. I have been wanting to for a while (because fumes suck) but could'nt find anything available in EU that was good and priced right. Luckily I found out about nitorlack.com. They are based in Spain and I ordered a bunch of stuff. They sell their waterbased stuff in clear, white and black. They have all the dyes you need to tint the clear coat, and I color the white with liquid pigments I had laying around, to whatever color I want. It took a little practice, but was eventually a joy to spray. The first two bodys I have sprayed is now ready to be cut and buffed, so will know more soon.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 am

Thnks Toots! Anyone know a good American provider and willing to go over the basic needs to do these kind of finishes. I would really like to try to find an easier to apply and faster process than nitro. I think I just don't have the patience for it.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:14 am

There isn't much that's easier than nitro, you practically have to MAKE it run. The fastest would be acrylic enamel with a catalyist or a 2 part urethane, both automotive paint systems. They take some practice & skill but not out of the reach for a novice. The down side is the required equipment which is a GOOD spray gun or 2, a decent compressor, a GOOD respirator (both are toxic) and other misc. stuff.

WudTone is a wipe on finish and easy but not fast at all.

Acrylic lacquer is easy but takes longer to dry than Nitro.

I tried a water based finish a few years ago and wasn't happy with it but that was likely MY fault.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!