Squier affinity strat into a "65" strat

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier affinity strat into a "65" strat

Post by palesnow67 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 am

So I got a Surf green affinity strat (i think 2016, but it could be 2017) and i plan on making it into a "65"with what i have of it.
First question, was there ever a 65 surf green strat? Or was it like a 63,64, etc? I will change the year once it's confirmed.

Anyways.... So far I have cloth wiring, a ceramic cap for the tone pot, and an ashtray cover.
Of course i'll get some tuners (did the 65 ever come with plastic knob tuners? I thought about getting some for it)
A set of 65 (or 62 if it turns out to be a earlier year with surf green) reissue strat pickups, A matching headstock and 65 logo, 3 way switch (so far have the cts 5 way)
the aluminum pickguard cover, CTS pots, and a period correct bridge (anything else I'm missing??)

Now I'm wondering if i can put a vintage reissue bridge directly into the body (its a 6 hole bridge also) on the new affinity stratocaster body, will it fit? I'm really hoping. I'm sure if it needs some work I don't mind trying to do it myself, although my local G.T. just helped route my squier jag i just installed a mute into (which SHOULD be another post for you guys. I even have brass shielding and such to install still )
I need to figure out how to post pics on here. I just rejoined on here after leaving since 2013 and was too selfish and insecure to share my projects with you guys :unsure: :(

Hell now that I think about it, I should share my 69 reissue mustang project I'm almost finished with (just need some Antiquity pickups to make it completely period correct!)
10. Signatures must be no more than two lines.

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Re: Squier affinity strat into a "65" strat

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:11 am

The affinity has a thinner body than a standard strat, so you won't be able to use the "Wafer" style switch, and you need to watch the size of the pots you use. Other than that I'm watching with interest :)
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 am

i've done lots of work on lots of squiers.

you really should try to find a better starting point, considering the amount of $ all the upgrades will cost. i would find some sort of 'standard' squier for starters. full thickness is important, and they have better necks (i think)
If you look around, you'll find that certain runs had 6-screw bridges, and vintage contours. You might even trip over one of the e-series MIJ squiers for cheap.
My current (and only ) strat is an odd US -built Squier from '99 (i think).
vintage bridge, vintage contours, it was $200.
I think you'll be happier in the end.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by palesnow67 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks guys

Hmm, maybe I'll just save up for a 50's reissue fiesta red strat then..

We'll definitely have work done on the Jag so I'll be posting about that guy for sure!

How I post pics?
Is it like a link?
Sorry I'm sure there is a faq somewhere. I'll go look at it haha

palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by palesnow67 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 am

Would I be able to at least change out the bridge part (not the inside bar, since it'll be too long..) so i can put the ashtray on it and make it kinda look vintage at least?
I'd rather get a jazzmaster or mustang pj bass. I already put a bit of cash into this guy and it's a really great strat. bought it new and it feels better then some mim and a few american strats (besides hardware, which i've mostly replaced already anyways)
The body and neck feel bigger on these new affinities

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:42 am

set up something on imgur, and post links from there.
those six screws on a vintage trem are spaced differently, depending on whether it's a squier, us/mij fender, or some of the earlier mim's.
not the end of the world, but you'll need to plug/drill.

the classic vibes are really nice, might be worth going that route
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by palesnow67 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks con-tiki

I'm pretty sure i read that the VM can fit the cover. I mostly want to work with this one because it is in surf green and feels great. I'm up for the challenge of putting the bridge in tho!

If it doesnt fit then i could always try and get a new body from warmoth or something.

Well looks like this project is going to be longer than I thought.

I'll have to make an imgur account then, You guys will like my surf green jag project anyways :P
Already has the mute installed, going to put in the brass shielding once i get a vintage jag wiring kit so i can pull all the old stuff out (you cant install the brass with out removing everything unfortunately)
Hoping to afford A binded neck from warmoth and get a matching headstock with a 1965 style jag logo here soon for him